Is Ford Doing Anything About Their Paint Issues?

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by PrepVet, Aug 2, 2019.

1. PrepVet

PrepVet Active Member

My 2015 EL is really starting to have corrosion starting to pop underneath the paint in the tailgate. It is starting to get bad. Half a dozen small bibles just popping up and looking like hell. The warranty doesn't cover this since it isn’t a rust through. I have seen many similar trucks with the same issue.

[​IMG]

2. PrepVet

PrepVet Active Member

[​IMG]

3. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Ultimate Member Supporting Member

Short answer- No

They cover 2016+ models for it under warranty but never fixed it themselves properly. So they will fix once then once you are out of warranty you are on your own. Current model Explorers commonly peel on the hood as well as newer Expeditions.

4. 99WhiteC5Coupe

99WhiteC5Coupe Full Access Members

Here is a link to a 47-page thread on the aluminum panel paint corrosion on the Expeditions: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...gister-a-complaint-read-fords-response.16012/

My 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, began to corrode prior to the base warranty expiring. As such, I’ll never purchase a new Ford with aluminum panels.

5. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

The new aluminum F-150's are starting to bubble paint here in New York also.

While Ford is making repairs in warranty, they seem to have deemed poor paint performance a "service item" that's the customers' problem once out of warranty.

Do other manufacturers have problems with their aluminum panels?

6. JExpedition07

I’ve noticed aluminum 2015 F-150s bubbling in NY as well, particularly ones with the Lariat plastic wheel arch trim

7. PrepVet

PrepVet Active Member

I’m still within the warranty but the dealership has said tough shit basically. Ford Corp won’t cover it.

8. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members

My experience was the same. There is a Facebook group devoted to this problem and most owners - warranty or not - were flipped the bird by Ford. A handful have gotten repairs partially covered and a very small portion of those have gotten new panels. Meanwhile, Ford just keeps updating the TSB to add more years. We're now up to 20 models years and a dozen differen models that the problem impacts. It's cheaper for them not to fix it. It's the Pinto attitude all over again.

99WhiteC5Coupe likes this.
  9. LRNAD90

LRNAD90 Full Access Members

Denying it mostly.. Surprised there hasn't been a class action suit filed by now..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    99WhiteC5Coupe likes this.
  10. JExpedition07

Ford covered my aunts 2014 and resprayed it at no cost after several phone calls to corporate and through the help of the dealer. There are already one or two tiny bubbles in the paint on the bottom edge though, still better than before. They resprayed it in 2016 or 2017 I forget. I believe Ford called it a “goodwill” repair meaning it wasn’t warranty but they did it out of “goodwill” lol.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019