Is it crazy to buy a 2018?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houlster

Reaction score
Looking at a new, used Expy. I've had a 2001 EB for about 16 yrs and really like the current model. Only must-haves are Max, 4wd & the HD Tow package, but would like some options as well.

I'm looking at a 2018 Max Limited that's pretty loaded. Looks like 301A and Special Edition packages. About a 75k sticker originally. It's high mileage though. 74k. But, it's a "gold" certified vehicle, so comes with a 12mo/12k limited warranty and drivetrain is extended to 7yr/100k. This seems like a safe buy. Carfax shows Program #21B10 was done. Something for Powertrain control module & cam phaser rattle.

Anyways, concerns are it's a 2018. I haven't really followed the new model, but first year always seems to be the worst. But, nothing bad in 74000 miles according to carfax and enough warranty to last me 2 - 3 years. Price seems decent, but everything used is jacked up now. It is substantially less than the $60k average I've been seeing for ones with much less mileage.

Any thoughts?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drive it and see if you feel anything abnormal about it. I'm assuming it's about $50k - $55k. If it's in good condition and u like it, make sure the shocks have been changed out as base suspension shocks failure is common. Also, check for sunroof rattles, theres a clip that can snap in mechanism that causes an annoying rattle. Other than that, 2018s have been Fairly reliable in terms of a new model.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With 75K, that things half worn out, I wouldn't give more than $40K max for it, but unfortunately in todays market you likely can't buy it for that.
Last year pre-plandemic you could buy these things dirt cheap used....

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really early 2018's have a plastic/composite oil pan with yellow plastic oil drain plug that most people aren't thrilled with, so you may want to confirm if it's the more desirable current aluminum oil pan, or the really early plastic/composite oil pan.

Some 2018's have had issues with vacuum leaks on the front hubs causing the front wheel hubs to try to engage while in 2WD which was addressed under a TSB. I have a 2018, and haven't had this issue.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 has 21k miles on it. Thus far it has been to the dealer for:
(3) leaking struts over the first 18 months
(1) transmission reprogramming because it wouldn't shift out of park.
(1) split leather seam on a rear captain's chair.
(1) passenger mirror that wouldn't stop trying to adjust itself.
And as of this afternoon:
(1) leaking rear caliper at the piston seal.

While none of these things are cataclysmic, they are all annoying, as are the repeated trips to the dealership to get them taken care of. Add in the recall reprogramming for the VCT and the rattle I have on the driver's side turbo, and it's been a frustrating ownership experience. I'm hopeful that after this repair we'll have all of the kinks worked out because I really like the vehicle.

OP
OP
H

houlster

Reaction score
I'm thinking this one should be good if it hasn't been to the dealer for issues so far. Planning on driving it in a couple days. And yes, a little over $50k, but depressing knowing it was probably low 40's a year ago. I'd rather wait, but really need it soon. Waiting to see how the test drive goes.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it has the CCD suspension, you don't need to worry about the shocks/struts; the issue previous posters have mentioned is only for the "normal" suspension setup. So if it has 22" rims, you're good there.

My 2018 has had the issue with the front hubs (fixed, no problem). It also has the plastic/composite oil pan with the plastic drain plug (no problems). I had the clicking wing mirror issue (fixed with a software update). And I had my cam phasers replaced (which seems to be fairly endemic with these no matter the MY).

I have been pleased with mine for the last 3.5 years and wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2018 if the price was right and there was enough warranty on it to make you comfortable.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 has been great. Other than a bad battery, and a mirror software reprogramming, there have been absolutely no issues.

OP
OP
H

houlster

Reaction score
Ended up getting a different, similar Limited yesterday. It's actually better optioned, 302a instead of 301a, and has the medium stone interior color that we like much better. Stone grey outside instead of black. Clean carfax as well, 5000 fewer miles and still $4200 less than the first one we were looking at. Not sure why. Same Ford gold certified warranty. Came in at $48,700. Was impressed with the salesman / dealer too. No pressure or fees up the a$$. Gave me just over what I expected on trade-in according to KBB.

I usually keep vehicles for 10 yrs or more and ended up adding on the FordProtect extended warranty as well out to 11yr/140,000 miles.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it has the CCD suspension, you don't need to worry about the shocks/struts; the issue previous posters have mentioned is only for the "normal" suspension setup. So if it has 22" rims, you're good there.

My 2018 has had the issue with the front hubs (fixed, no problem). It also has the plastic/composite oil pan with the plastic drain plug (no problems). I had the clicking wing mirror issue (fixed with a software update). And I had my cam phasers replaced (which seems to be fairly endemic with these no matter the MY).

I have been pleased with mine for the last 3.5 years and wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2018 if the price was right and there was enough warranty on it to make you comfortable.
Nope on the CCD suspension. I had my two rears leaking and had to switch out on my dime. 2k job (CDN). Also had to do a rear main seal, cam phasers, rear pinion seal 3 times (WTF) rear glass replaced because the defrost wires broke off. There's more, but you get the idea....