is it possible the 4WD is engaging on its own?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
81LZ-3A788-A is the part #, the little check valve is part of the tube assembly

cjhusky

Reaction score
Hi @JExpedition07 ; thank you SO MUCH for posting. I looked all over the firewall and behind the battery to find the solenoid (all the places it is in the F150). Lots of references to the same failure and repair on F150's, but basically nothing on the Expedition. I have the same 2007. Mine is an Expedition EL XLT with the 5.4L. Your post has helped me locate the solenoid (Part # 7L1Z-9H465-B). My plan is to try and replace just the solenoid, like @pennyanguy did. did, and see if that does it. Should I go ahead and also replace the tube assembly (8L1Z-3A788-A)? Would love your help on where the tube assembly is located? And is there one on each side (i.e. one for each Hub?)...or is there just one for controlling the whole unit, like the solenoid? Doing the job this weekend and want to try and get parts ordered up. Headed on a fairly long road trip and want to get this ironed out fully :)

Thanks in advance for the advice and pointer to where the tube assembly (or assemblies) are located.