Is it possible to get the front tow hook retainer nut out of the frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found a donor at the pick and pull, grabbed the hooks and bolts but couldn't get the retainer nut bracket out. There is a slotted hole right near the mounting holes, but after ********* her for a good 10 minutes, I couldn't get a good grip on the bracket to get it in a good position to slide it out. Maybe a magnet would have helped? Any suggestions, or just buy new brackets?

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm, well, if I buy new retainers, what are my chances of getting the retainer to slide in through the slotted hole if I don't take off my bumper?

Anyone have a part number or link to what I should buy? Are they pretty much the same between F-150's and Expy's?

bsutton1705

Reaction score
Mine looked similar to those from my F150 but I do not know if they are the same, I would guess they are because the tow hooks are the same.

Probably would take some luck otherwise you gotta pull the bumper which doesnt take to long, I have had mine off mulitple times installing my winch and now I can have it off in about 10 minutes lol

I think this is the right part number even though it says it doesnt fit.

W706973-S441

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine looked similar to those from my F150 but I do not know if they are the same, I would guess they are because the tow hooks are the same.

Probably would take some luck otherwise you gotta pull the bumper which doesnt take to long, I have had mine off mulitple times installing my winch and now I can have it off in about 10 minutes lol

I think this is the right part number even though it says it doesnt fit.

W706973-S441
Thanks.
Maybe I'll just go back to the pick n pull and take its bumper off and grab those brackets.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know when I put the push bar on the front of my Expy I had to pull the front bumper off to get to those retaining bolts. Not too hard, just tedious. Probably need a helper to help support it and not tear it up during disassembly/re-assembly.

aiGYXL.jpg

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too picked up some tow hooks. Luckily the donor was missing the bumper which made extraction easy.

I looked and looked, but without grinding a hole in the frame rail, theres no way to install them without removing the bumper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too picked up some tow hooks. Luckily the donor was missing the bumper which made extraction easy.

I looked and looked, but without grinding a hole in the frame rail, theres no way to install them without removing the bumper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I went back to get the 8mm socket I was using to move the bracket around and yeah, even with a magnet, the retainer is too big to fit through that slotted hole. I'll have to look up how to take the bumper off.