Is it worth downsizing the wheels and tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StodgyBarley

Reaction score
Hi Folks! I was told last night that the 22 inch tires on the Expedition will last for around 50000 KMs... so 31000 miles about. I was surprised to hear that. Does anyone know of the benefits switching to 20 inch or 18 inch wheels?
Do they last longer?
Better mileage?

I love the the look of the 22 inch wheel/tires (Firestone) but not loving the idea of replacing them so frequently. Thanks in advance!

IIGood

Reaction score
Just try looking at other tires. How long a tire lasts is pretty subjective, TBH. Look up how to read the treadwear rating on a tire and go from there...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep just look for better rubber, the upside to 18” rims is a better ride. 22s are like riding an old horse drawn buggy, but they look nice doing it.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those skinny soccer mom asphalt tires will wreck the suspension over time as well, as their shock absorption properties are far inferior. Plus they cost an arm and a leg to replace. So do suspension components and rims, which will often get damaged from potholes too.

I bought used 18" F150 mags & tires for my Expy recently. Got them for $200 cash off a guy. Can't beat the price and replacement rubbers are a dime a dozen out there, plus these wheels look more "truck" and less "wannabe downtown gangsta"...

My advice: sell them to some airhead with too much disposable income while they are still new and get used truck mags / tires for your Expy. You will actually make money on the deal and will have a far better and more dependable ride.

;)

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those skinny soccer mom asphalt tires will wreck the suspension over time as well, as their shock absorption properties are far inferior. Plus they cost an arm and a leg to replace. So do suspension components and rims, which will often get damaged from potholes too.

Can you elaborate? I have wimpy tires on my '14 that came with it when I bought it last year. I have 18" stock rims. I now need a shitload of suspension work done. Plus new tires.

Icemanjones

Reaction score
Oldpaddy I dont think there is necesarily a link between the two in your case. Lots of factors involved. 17-18" wheels are generally regarded as the best all around size when you consider cost of tires, available options, rolling resistance(aka weight of wheel + tire), ride comfort, effect on suspension and brakes, and looks. You will want quality tires to do the job you need, but stay with your wheels unless you dont like the way they look on your truck or cause rubbing etc.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you elaborate? I have wimpy tires on my '14 that came with it when I bought it last year. I have 18" stock rims. I now need a shitload of suspension work done. Plus new tires.

It's pretty simple, really... and has been discussed at length on the Explorer forums I used to belong to. The air in the tire is a very good shock absorber, which takes a lot of stress off your suspension components. The bigger the sidewall, the better the shock absorbing effect (and vice-versa).

Low profile tires also ruins rims very often, should you hit a pothole. Low profile tires on a big heavy vehicle are an extremely retarded idea overall... they are made to impress kids who wear their baseball hats sideways, lol.

Check out the video below. It also answers the OP's tire wear issue :

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the look of low profiles and 20” rims. I think it’s Flexpedition but not sure someone on here has posted an FMF with 22” F-150 Harley rims and it’s a nice look. I contemplated ordering the optional Eddie Bauer 20s for my 2007 then said why waste the $$ for me. I live near Buffalo NY where we have lots of potholes and snow.....I’d be asking for trouble. Ended up mounting new Michelin’s to the stock Eddie Bauer 18”s and called it a day.

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I enjoy the look of low profiles and 20” rims. I think it’s Flexpedition but not sure someone on here has posted an FMF with 22” F-150 Harley rims and it’s a nice look..

Yeah, well... you know what they say about "looks"... they are only skin-deep!

:p

A truck with low profile tires totally defies the purpose (utility + capability) of such a vehicle. You can't make a Ferrari out of an F-150, lol. Two different animals!