Is my trailer to big??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aussie280z

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 and 3.73 rear end gears. I bought an RV without really researching what I needed and want to find out if I can get away with using my RV.

My tow rating is 8600 (I do have the heavy duty towing package) and the tounge weight max (with a weight distribution hitch) is 895. My RV gross is 7000 but the tounge weight is 1130.

So, with 235 pounds over the tounge weight limit, can I get away with using my RV? Has anyone done similar?

I absolutely love my Expedition and have no interest in trading in for a bigger truck, but I also love the size of my RV.

Any personal experiences or info would be great!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I guess my first question is if that RV weight is empty or when it's full of your stuff.
(listed weight vs actual weight)

Also is there any way to move some of the trailer weight behind the axle(s)? This would reduce the tongue weight to an acceptable level.

OP
OP
A

aussie280z

Reaction score
Its 6640 empty and so I am figuring 7000 or a little more loaded. I thought about loading gear behind the axle to lower the actual tounge weight. I am not scared of pushing the limit a little since I am just using it locally (no big trips across the country with this set up) but I dont want to kill someone if I cant stop or something crazy.

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to know more about the RV. Baseline 7000 lbs...add in a water tank(35 gal?), propane cylinders(2?), holding tank and contents(yuck), food, gear, supplies, and anything else you'll throw into the RV....and the 1600 lbs of wiggle room quickly disappear. And when you do load, put a lot in the back of the trailer to lessen the load on the tongue.
Also, consider how heavy you load the Expys interior while hooked up to the trailer, that can create problems of its own.
You're gonna be really close to max all around, ultimate decision is yours and how comfortable you are in your towing abilities . Personally, I like a little more leeway on the capacity, but that's just me...

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the RV has trailer brakes that work and your not going long distances, I think you'll be ok. just be carefull and make sure you leave plenty of stopping room.

rowekmr

Reaction score
Buy a good quality weight distribution hitch with sway control like the Equalizer and it will redistribute some of your trailer tongue weight to the truck's front axle so you can keep your tongue weight within the hitch's rating.

I tow a 8K travel trailer with a 2003 Navi which has same hp but less trans gears than yours. The trailer has a 9K gross rating but I lightened the trailer of stuff put some heavy things in the rear of the trailer to keep the tongue weight at 900# and it does a decent job pulling a 32'+ trailer. I previously would load up the trailer and travelled long distances with an Excursion V-10 and other 3/4 /1 ton tow vehicles but got tired of keeping a dedicated tow vehicle so we now just take short trips and I save money.
I have a 2004 Ford Expedition with the 5.4 and 3.73 rear end gears. I bought an RV without really researching what I needed and want to find out if I can get away with using my RV.

My tow rating is 8600 (I do have the heavy duty towing package) and the tounge weight max (with a weight distribution hitch) is 895. My RV gross is 7000 but the tounge weight is 1130.

So, with 235 pounds over the tounge weight limit, can I get away with using my RV? Has anyone done similar?

I absolutely love my Expedition and have no interest in trading in for a bigger truck, but I also love the size of my RV.

Any personal experiences or info would be great!

tykate1

Reaction score
i had a an Excursion v10 for towing and it more than pulled my TT any where i wanted to go. TT wieght 6500lbs on the scales loaded. I had weight ditibution bars and sway bary on my hitch, eletric brakes controler I never had a problem. I also pulled the same trailer with the Expediton and I did not have as much pull and took a little longer to get to speed but it got the job done.. So to sum it up if you are patient and take your time you should not have problems on level road and small hills. If you are planning a big trip to the moutains then consider a Excursion or F250.