Is rotational play (excessive backlash) normal between wheel and cv axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UTEngineer

Reaction score
I can rotate my front wheels both directions quite a bit before the CV and front axle starts turning.

Weird part … same for both front wheels.

Is this excessive play / backlash normal ?

It appears to be somewhere within the wheel hub.

Will try to post a link to my Dropbox where you can watch a video of the excessive play.

OP
OP
UTEngineer

UTEngineer

Reaction score
Engine on or off?
So are you eluding to the fact that the vacuum is not being applied to the IWE when the car is not running ?

If so, how does that explain the rotational play (backlash) in the IWE ?

Only have my IFS Chevy Duramax to compare to my wife’s Expedition … and my Chevy does not have this excessive play issue.

That being said … Chevy’s 4WD hub design is not a vacuum actuated design.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes that's what I was alluding to but if this is with engine off then the iwe should be locked. Sounds like something may be amiss.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And everything works perfectly? No clunks, 4wd problems, 4 auto problems, vibrations, etc? If you mark the tire, how far will it turn before turning the axle with just one side jacked up?

OP
OP
UTEngineer

UTEngineer

Reaction score
And everything works perfectly? No clunks, 4wd problems, 4 auto problems, vibrations, etc? If you mark the tire, how far will it turn before turning the axle with just one side jacked up?
There is a loud clunk when we come off the rolled curb at the end of our driveway backing out of the garage onto the street. This loud clunk is what made me start looking at the IWE.

I started by replacing the sway bar end links myself because those are know to fail and are easy to replace. However, the front end links were ok and not the issue (rear end links were bad), so I replaced all of them anyway with Moog’s Problem Solver end links with grease zirks.

However, the loud clunk was still there. Had the wife take it to the local Ford dealer who of course blamed the new end links. Said they were loose (to which I say BS since I torqued them and used blue locktite). They supposedly “tightened“ them and sent my wife on her way saying it was fixed. Next day same clunk pulling out of the driveway. So much for the local Ford dealer.

So when I noticed the excessive rotational play in the IWE, had the wife sit in the car as I rotated the tire until the CV axle engaged and it clunked … wife said “that is the exact sound I hear coming off the curb backing out of the driveway”. Great, now where do I go from here to fix it ?

That is when I decided to reach out on this forum and see if anyone else has experienced / noticed this excessive rotational play in the IWE … and if this is normal ?

OP
OP
UTEngineer

UTEngineer

Reaction score
I would say the jacked up tire rotates a couple inches forward and the same amount backward before the cv joint engages and the axle starts turning (with the opposite tire still on the ground).

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say the jacked up tire rotates a couple inches forward and the same amount backward before the cv joint engages and the axle starts turning (with the opposite tire still on the ground).
A couple inches isn't much at 16" +- out from the center. I'm not seeing a problem here but I am tempted to jack mine up tomorrow to verify it.

Last edited:

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a small amount of play in the hub/ cv joint is due to the vacuum locking front hubs. However check them with a vacuum gauge to make sure they hold. I just had to replace them in my 2010 expo I would be turning around a rotary and hear a metal clanging noise. Come to find out the left front was completely torn. I replaced both of them. And noise gone. Also my fuel mileage went up by 2mpg. I assume it’s because of no longer leaking vacuum. They can be had on eBay for 100 for a pair. Don’t get dorman ones.