Is synthetic oil required??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't use the odometer or a time factor, or even road conditions for my decision. When the oil appears fairly opaque on the dipstick, it has enough contamination that it's time for a change. Filters remove particulates down to a certain defined size. Anything smaller passes through. Sub-micron particles can still cause wear, albeit at a slower pace. As a general rule, I can go 5,000+ miles between changes. Working with crude oil, I have access to a centrifuge that we use to check the crude for excess contaminants to decide if the crude is good enough to buy. I have checked my drained engine oil more than once in a centrifuge. The darker the oil, the more contaminants will spin out of the waste oil that has passed through your oil filter thousands of times. Each person has to decide the "economic threshold" for protection vs. maintenance cost for their vehicle. There isn't a right answer. It's an argument that will never end and it's truly up to the individual. Are you going to trade it off every few years, or will you still own it 200,000 miles down the road?
As far as what Ford recommends? I believe that the original 5W-20 recommendation was simply a lame attempt at gaining mpg because of mandates. Thin oil has less drag than thicker oil. When they found that it was causing longevity problems, they back-stepped and changed the recommendation. They did the same with differential oil in many vehicles. It was originally 80W-90 and they later changed to to 85W-140.
Also, remember that Ford it in business to sell new vehicles and replacement parts. Their engineers recommendations and designs are calculated with an "acceptable lifetime" factor.
In the end, how long do you want it to last and how much are you willing to spend to make it last that long, and is the cost vs. benefit factor worth it to you?

Reaction score
I have used full-synthetic oil in most of my vehicles for almost 20 years. Changing once a year has not affected reliability or longevity, and ends up being the same price or cheaper than using dead dinosaur or synthetic blend, but with better protection and more convenience.

The most important thing in the Ford modular V8s is to keep the oil clean. The hydraulic VVT system (cam phaser) is finicky and the cheesy filter in the block cannot be easily accessed for routine replacement.
I think anything from 0W-20 to 10W-30 would probably work acceptably in the engine, give or take driving conditions and climate.
I have used Amsoil 5W-20 in my 2008 EL since the first oil change at 2000 miles. I change the oil once a year, and change the filter twice a year. I have looked for a larger filter, but there are none with better efficiency than the Amsoil EaO11. I thought a 2 micron bypass filter system would be a good idea, but they are kind of expensive and a little hard to find room for.

When I changed the spark plugs at 120K miles, I checked the compression. It was in the upper middle of the range, but most impressive, all cylinders were within 12 psi of each other.

I have heard of 4.6 and 5.4 owners switching to 5W-30 in higher mileage vehicles, but I don't intend to do that, and would not recommend it unless the vehicle is rarely driven in temperatures below 40F. I would be leery of using any other weight oil for fear of altering the function of the cam phaser system.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe they should add a third item not to discuss, along with religion and politics. Oil changes, and their intervals. Who knows maybe it would be like politics, you could be either Democrat or Republican, depending on intervals. Anybody been at a party, and had this conversation. So Bob, how long do you go between oil changes? Me 12,000 miles!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Helo driver

Reaction score
Remember, dealers make over 70% of their profits on parts and service. Especially engine replacement....Don’t trust the oil percentage indicator. Change it no more than 5K. After many years at a dealership I realized that Ford builds a great product and it WILL LAST, but it must be maintained with vigilance. If anyone has ever built an engine, they know the worth of synthetic oil.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5-w20 full synthetic every 5-6000 Miles. At rock auto you can get 6 gallons of motor craft for like 90bucks. What I use in both my 05 and 2010 5.4’s