Iug nut wrench won’t fit lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to pull my stock wheel lugs off with my stock wrench and the wrench is too small. Any advice? Anyone run into this before? 2015 Expy
Either your stock wheel lugs were changed or your stock wrench was changed. Mine work on my 16

May have to go get a socket set and figure out your actual lug size

OP
OP
K

Kevin Esplin

Reaction score
Either your stock wheel lugs were changed or your stock wrench was changed. Mine work on my 16

May have to go get a socket set and figure out your actual lug size

I’ve tried a 13/16 will not fit but I’m pretty sure that’s the size it should be, 7/8 fits but it slips rather then loosening the lug

Plati

Reaction score
Are they replacement solid lug nuts (chrome)?
Those can be 21mm wrench which is just slightly larger than 13/16".

13/16=.8125"
21mm=.8268"

The OEM stainless steel capped lug nuts can swell.
But I don't think that's it. Could be I guess?

Not all wrenches are exactly the size they are supposed to be either.

What kind of nuts do you have (lug)?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oem ones commonly swell and no longer fit nicely. I dealt with that on a handful of mine.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to pull my stock wheel lugs off with my stock wrench and the wrench is too small. Any advice? Anyone run into this before? 2015 Expy

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new, with the stock 20-inch wheels. About 53,*** miles).

I live in the Midwest (snow belt with salt used for road clearing).

At the last oil change & tire rotation service at a Ford dealer, the mechanic said 20 of the 24 lug nuts were swollen from salt corrosion and the standard lug nut socket would not fit (19mm?). He said the stock lug nuts have a cap pressed over the steel nut, and salt corrosion causes the nut to rust and swell.

I had them replace the 20 swollen ones with new Ford lug nuts. He offered that if I had to change the tire with the supplied lug nut wrench, it would no longer fit due to the swelling.

Perhaps you are having the same problem I recently encountered?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's worth swapping out to solid lug nuts to avoid the issue in the future. 2 of mine had the chrome cap come off completely while most others were swelling.

I went with these and, even with all the road salt thrown down in the winters, have not had any issues since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMSNN4H

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah … here's the thread from last year.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/lug-nut-insanity.35172/page-8#post-309892

I do believe that the "cap" (which is a f'in disaster) , is stainless steel, not chrome.
If you have chrome, they are solid. Steel - chrome plated.
The stainless steel "cap" keeps it lookin good instead of rusting.
Chrome has the tendency to rust … over time.

My understanding is they do not make solid stainless steel lug nut.
SS is actually too weak to work as a solid lug nut which is hard to believe but true.
Good ole hardened steel is stronger than stainless steel in this application.
(if you understand metallurgy which I don't but I did sleep in a Best Western last night)

If anyone orders the Gorilla be careful to order by your model year
the length is different depending on the year!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just like they say, they rust underneath and swell.

Once they swell or if you use the wrong size wrench, the stainless cover sleeves get stuck in the wrench and come off the nuts. Then you can't get the cover out of your socket or wrench. You're left with a naked nut still on the lug that nothing fits.

It's cold out and you're on the side of the road. Just annoying junk. Ford sucks sometimes -- they make a sixty thousand dollar car with f'd up lug nuts.

Hard to find solid replacements. The Gorilla ones on Amazon rusted in a few months in the ocean air or with the road salt. Who knows what they're made of. But they didn't swell up.

Last edited: