I've done F'ed up y'all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
I've had this 2003 Expy for a few years and until today, never knew the the previous owner had scabbed in a wire that at some point went to something.
Well... When I went to start my truck up to go home after work she didn't crank. Just... Nothing. Then I noticed the PRNDL error on the dash so I began troubleshooting that. Swapped out relays, etc. Nothing.
Then I ran across a forum that advised someone to pull the C2163 starter relay and jumper terminal 30 to 87 to crank her manually. (GREAT piece of info btw!) so I did and she started up. I was all excited, shut the passenger door and she shut off. Hmmmm...

I went on to start her up a few more times with the same result. Perplexed doesn't describe how I felt. I'm thinking fuel pump? I started snooping around for anything and everything because... FRIDAY! I WANNA GO HOME!

I kept on cranking her up over and over trying to locate the common denominator.

FOUND IT! The previous owner had scabbed in a yellow wire using a glob of solder to some red wire that goes into the fuse box. The other clipped and bare end was being pinched by the door upon closing thus shorting out the truck.

HERE'S WHERE I NEED MY FELLOW EXPY EXPERTS to assist.

WT frig does the red wire in the picture go to because I'm pretty sure I damaged whatever it connects to by literally shorting it out over and over and over.

Other noticed symptoms:
1 .Upon acceleration, Check Charging System flashes.
2. Idle is noticably faster.
3. While running the Engine On test using ForScan, the idle is rough but not while driving.
4. She cranks for an extended period of time then starts.

Here is the pic.

IMG_20190913_200745159.jpg

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe reconnect the way it used to be, just tape it up nicely so it doesn't short out?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel pump inertia switch maybe? I knew once upon a time...can confirm tomorrow however if its grounding out when the door shuts you'd lose fuel pump and vehicle would shut off as described. I'm fairly I'm that's the C270a connector, you can likely google to confirm and probably find a pinout.

I dont think the red wire goes directly to it, I believe that is a hot feed off the pcm, which goes elsewhere to that circuit. Again, trying from memory here and do t have resources at home to look it up. I just remember years ago helping father in law do something w his 03's fuse box and had to figure out what was what.

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Fuel pump inertia switch maybe? I'm fairly I'm that's the C270a connector. I believe that is a hot feed off the pcm, which goes elsewhere to that circuit.

Thank you. That's a start and could start my understanding of what component was being directly shorted and therefore damaged.

I realize you're going off memory but from what you've said, I could have damaged the fuel pump inertia switch, the circuit board on the fuse box, or possibly even the PCM itself. Breaking it down logically.
And you're also correct. That red wire is a switch-on hot.

I do have a spare fuse box in the garage so maybe my immediate no-cost step would be to swap out the fuse box and see if the symptoms replicate therefore removing a damaged fuse box from the equation. Concur?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
I think I got it.

I swapped out the fuse box for my spare and the middle pin on the C2160 PCM Relay is melted (See picture). I also used a new fuse in the replacement fuse box.

After getting her all back together and the negative terminal reconnected I cranked her up and she started up immediately as she normally does. I no longer had the extended cracking time post grounding.
I haven't warmed her up yet to run ForScan or to take her on the highway to see if the Check Charging System CEL still flashes so I'll update after I do but for now, one symptom is gone.

I think I'll find another Expy being parted out and pick up another fuse box and PCM just in case.

IMG_20190915_091325128.jpg