Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Lasnier

Reaction score
I agree with Gordan. I love 99 Expy, but the new ones don’t seam to have any character (just personal taste), plus I would never purchase one without a V8 wish they offered it. The GM’s are nice, but a dime a dozen. I’m going to check out this Jeep when it comes on the market, I think it’s a winner!

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More screens, more electronics!!! Why have a windshield? Replace it with one big screen, a few cameras and a playstation control and then you'll be able to drive it from any seat inside. When you get tired:yawn:, push the auto drive button and take a nap. You'll be wakened by spa music and a sunrise on the windshield screen.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
plus I would never purchase one without a V8 wish they offered it.

These statements just bewilder me EVERYTIME somebody says it. You realize Chevy's 2.7L 4-CYLINDER Turbo that will be the base motor in GM Trucks starting the 2022 Model year makes more power than the 5.4 from 1999, and gets better MPG. It also makes peak torque Sooner, and reaches the 99 5.4's peak HP significantly sooner.

All of Fords Turbo 6's make EVEN MORE power. They have a ton of Torque down low, and pull like a freight train.

I LOVE the sound of a big V8, don't get me wrong...but this is the future.

Pick a vehicle on how it drives, and the power it has, how many cylinders it has is just pointless.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These statements just bewilder me EVERYTIME somebody says it.

^^ This !!! Cracks me up when someone gets their tighty ******'s all in a bundle because their manhood is challenged by a V6... Goodnight, if you need a V8 to feel like a man, just sell your truck and drive a Prius or better yet, a scooter because your focus is on the wrong thing anyway.

Besides, if you have to have a V8 to be a man, the V10 crowd must scare the beans out of you.

Ha

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let's give Craig a break, shall we?

He is well entitled to his opinion.

I like V-8s too, and if I decide to walk away from the Expy's it will be for a V8--not for "the size" of it but for the simplicity of one fuel system and no turbos. And I LOVE the EcoB's power, TQ, and fuel economy.

And if people didn't care about V-8s, why would they
1) Still make and sell them
2) Pump V8 music through the stereos on the high-end V6 engines?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's give Craig a break, shall we? He is well entitled to his opinion.

I like V-8s too, and if I decide to walk away from the Expy's it will be for a V8--not for "the size" of it but for the simplicity of one fuel system and no turbos.

And if Ford didn't care about V-8s, why would they pump V8 music through the stereos?

The Expy's have no sound pumped in. The Plati and Navi actually have active noise canceling to remove all sound.

"One Fuel System"? Are you talking about the dual injector setup? Still only one fuel system, but feeds 12 injectors. Ford's new 7.3 V8 was preengineered for both Port and Direct injectors, but currently is only equipped with one. It is the best of both worlds.

Again, no argument over the sound...but making a decision based purely on cylinders is pointless with todays tech.

One of the best HD Diesel's out there is 6 cylinders, when the rest of the competition is 8, yet it is universally accepted as the standard. Just saying one example.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with all this. I was deadset against anything other than a V8 (had the Triton 5.4 and then the Coyote 5.0 in my previous F150s) for all the normal reasons (reliability, complexity, moar powr!!, etc) and then I drove the EcoBoost and put my foot to the floor. Whoa.

It's quicker than the V8s and it doesn't sound like it's about to rip itself apart the way the V8s do. I love the low grumble of the V8s when slowly accelerating or cruising, but when I floored the V8s to pass it always screamed like a banshee (and not in a good way). The EcoBoost is just smooth and once you get into the power curve it just keeps going!!

I still have buddies who drive V8 trucks that give me a hard time about having a V6...I just remind them that my "minivan" is faster and can tow more than their "real trucks".

Before anyone writes off the EcoBoost, do yourself a favor and go drive one. You don't even have to tell anyone...wear a hoodie and sunglasses and drive to another town where no one will recognize you. I bet you'll be glad you did. And if not, no harm no foul. But until you drive one, don't make up your mind.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let's give Craig a break, shall we?

He is well entitled to his opinion.

Yes and everyone has the right to spend their dollars on what they prefer and to be proud while doing so. I just find it absolutely mind boggling how some people (present company excluded of course) dismiss certain drivetrains or technologies just because of antiquated or downright false notions.

40 years ago everyone heard of "a guy" who put a turbo under the hood only to have it burn up in 10,000 miles. Today's turbo's simply are not the same animal.
Remember, every semi on the road today, just about every large tractor on the farm, bulldozer - scraper - dump truck on the jobsite all have one thing in common. Turbo's.

Sure, they don't sound as "cool" but for me, that is part of the appeal. My other ride is a 2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0TT AWD with 400 HP and 400 FP torque. sounds like a wheezing sewing machine, but it will leave the majority of the so called "muscle" cars in the dust.

As they say ... to each their own

Grumpy out.
:)

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will stand by my statement of simplicity... is that startup rattle the turbo wastegates or the cam phasers? Maybe one of the injectors? I like the future, and I like the past.
Hang on let me get my dial-up workin...

Sorry--it was the F150:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...d-f-150-pumps-v8-engine-noise-into-v6-trucks/

And did not mean to hijack the thread. If you two would like to discuss further, feel free to IM me.

Last edited: