Jerking during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LastExpo2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This just started a couple of days ago, while on the freeway. My expedition would jerk slightly around 50 mph. Today I took it by Autozone to have it scanned to see if any codes would be picked up. To my surprise no codes were picked up, the Check Engine Light is not on, and I am not too sure where to go from here. I have looked this up online and have read several different explanations - from Coil Packs, to Spark Plugs, to Boots, Wires, EGR Valves, Torque Converter, U-joints, Driveshaft, Fuel Filter, Bad Gas, and so on. About a month ago I replaced the fuel filter, a couple weeks ago I used STP injector cleaner, but have since put in new tanks of gas. I'm not too sure what the problem could be. Also, I had the tranny fluid and filter changed 17 months ago. I do not drive it hard, I'm very gentle with it.

What do you all make of this?

The jerk is not bad, it is slight. I am due for a tire rotation (perhaps needing a balance too?), could this be the problem?

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This just started a couple of days ago, while on the freeway. My expedition would jerk slightly around 50 mph. Today I took it by Autozone to have it scanned to see if any codes would be picked up. To my surprise no codes were picked up, the Check Engine Light is not on, and I am not too sure where to go from here. I have looked this up online and have read several different explanations - from Coil Packs, to Spark Plugs, to Boots, Wires, EGR Valves, Torque Converter, U-joints, Driveshaft, Fuel Filter, Bad Gas, and so on. About a month ago I replaced the fuel filter, a couple weeks ago I used STP injector cleaner, but have since put in new tanks of gas. I'm not too sure what the problem could be. Also, I had the tranny fluid and filter changed 17 months ago. I do not drive it hard, I'm very gentle with it.

What do you all make of this?

The jerk is not bad, it is slight. I am due for a tire rotation (perhaps needing a balance too?), could this be the problem?

I'm having a similar problem, when ever I slowly accelerating like 1800-2200 RPM range, i get a jitter. its getting worse and worse. i think mine is the transmission but i haven't figured out why it only does it in that range under slight acceleration.

OP
OP
LastExpo2000

LastExpo2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem, when ever I slowly accelerating like 1800-2200 RPM range, i get a jitter. its getting worse and worse. i think mine is the transmission but i haven't figured out why it only does it in that range under slight acceleration.

My is getting worse as well. However, I had it checked out by co-worker's friend who works in the service department at a Subaru dealership. Originally we thought it was a bad gear or the torque converter since there was no code. But once we hooked it up to the dealership's scanner and took it for a test drive, the scanner picked up the misfires. I'm waiting for my coil packs to come in and then I'll get my plugs and start the tune up process.

dankspeed

Reaction score
mine would do this but it was mostly when taking off from a traffic light or stop, sometimes while at speed and trying to accelerate. It turned out to be my fuel pump. I didn't wait for it to go bad I went ahead and replaced it. Turned out there was a cloth filter that tore off and was blocking the fuel pick up point in the tank. Not sure if this is what you're experiencing but if you have access to a lift and some tools you might want to spend a day dropping the fuel tank and pulling the FP to inspect it.

Hope this helps
Dan

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has that issue now only due to a loose coil pack. I am working to correct it

Plavin1991

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coil packs or plugs would b ur best bet to solve this problem thats what i had with my expy and my old blazer would make a poping noise and jerk while accelerating...my problems were both due to bad plugs

Smac

Reaction score
99% sure its a coil. I went through the same thing as you described. Very tough to diagnose which one. No check engine light or code thrown. Luckily I have a ford tech friend that can hook up a small laptop with a program that monitors it while driving and then it is easy to isolate which one is not firing well.

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is not really my topic lol but in my case it defiantly seems to be more violent when under stress(like going up a hill). Still coil packs?

Smac

Reaction score
This is not really my topic lol but in my case it defiantly seems to be more violent when under stress(like going up a hill). Still coil packs?
More than likely, could be a plug too but sounds just like how a misfiring coil pack does on these vehicles.