JLT Oil Seperator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If these are required, why didn't Ford just build one into the system and make it part of regular maintenance to empty?

Here are some high mileage/torture ****** ecoboost F-150s that as far I know did not use catch cans.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/...a-torture-tested-ecoboost-v-6-looks-like.html

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-a-ford-f-150-ecoboost-held-up-after-200-000-m-1790602670

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/6-f150-ecoboost-chat/28082-300-000-miles-my-2011-eco-boost.html

As a consumer, I'm fairly simple in my wants. I expect a vehicle to last through the average pay off period (6 years now) and miles (90,000 miles) without major repair by following the factory recommended maintenance for the severity of driving that occurs. Actually I expect them to last even longer now a days.

I'm not going to add after market items to overcome bad design. I'll just move on to a manufacturer that does what I expect.

I went against my feelings about Ford's quality to purchase this Expy because it was so much less on the used market than Toyota/Lexus SUVs and it's been good through 50,000 miles(as it should). I also hedged my bet by paying $2,300 more for an extended warranty to 8years/125,000 miles expecting a failure that will cost more than that.

If I do experience problems because I didn't add a catch can or do 3,000 mile oil changes (even though Ford says up to 10,000), I'll simply never buy another ford again. I'll pay a premium for brands that have a track record of reliability.

To me having to add an after market component to make it run right or last is just plain wrong. The designers of this vehicle should have added it if required. If they are doing planned obsolesce then why am I buying this brand?
Relax! No one has said these are required. Maybe the EPA had something to do with Ford‘s decision not to put a catch can on vehicles because of people just draining them wherever. Ford decided to fix the problem by adding port injection back in their systems to wash the valves. I’m also pretty sure that oil change intervals that Ford recommends are EPA driven also. Don’t you think since they have to warrantee these engines for at least a certain amount of time that they would prefer you changed your oil in shorter intervals? So as far as brand bashing I do remember Toyota recalling there Tacoma‘s because the frames rotted and broke in half. Engineering flaw? I’ve got a friend who took his Tacoma into a dealer for a routine service and they wouldn’t give it back. They told him it was unsafe and it had too many miles to put a frame under it so Toyota told him what they would give him and it wasn’t enough to put him and something comparable. So they basically sold him a flawed design which failed miserably and then told him we’re giving you X amount of dollars for reimbursement for the junk we sold you and we are junking your truck sorry about your luck! I’ve been driving Fords since 1981 and haven’t had any major issues with any. I’ll just stick with what I know I guess.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Dirty intake valves are an unintended consequence of direct injection, a technology brought on by government mandates regarding fuel use and pollution controls.

Emptying a catch can every 1000 miles is not maintenance any manufacturer will inflict on the buying public without loosing massive amounts of sales to brands that don't require it. Much too burdensome and much too easy to ignore. Ignoring the valve crud issue is the best practice for the manufacturer and work out a service solution later at a more reasonable service interval like when the oil gets changed. We've been waiting for this for years. Of course offering a solution admits and highlights the problem. We know this occurs but is it a Problem (capital P)?

I'm not seeing reports of catastrophic engine damage with the EcoBoost DI system. But keeping the blow-by crud out of the intake -- dumping directly into the turbochager (?) -- seems a good idea. There's darn little we can do to our cars these days anyway and only so much satisfaction changing our own oil (which I don't do on the truck).

-- Chuck

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To answer the question, why would we buy a vehicle that needs an aftermarket item to run right, or keep innards clean? American Loyalty! Our fathers and grandfather's fought and died to keep this country free. And most if not all loyal Americans will put up with small things like a catch can, to keep their Ford, or Lincoln running cleaner and longer. Should Ford have installed it from the factory? You betcha, but they didn't. Americans bought American products even back in the shaky 70's, when Pintos and Chevy Vegas were the 4 cylinder option to a Toyota, or Datsun or Honda. Giving our money to the Japanese, or Germans, or most recently Korea, leaves a bad taste in so many Americans mouths. It's something that was taught to us, by an older generation, and makes sense. Everytime you buy an overseas item, a job held by an American goes away.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I installed the JLT oil separator last night on my 17 Expy. I have one on my 2013 Mustang GT and was amazed at how much oil is collected between oil changes.

Knowing the 3.5 Ecoboost uses direct injection, the injector never washes off the intake valves with atomized gasoline so carbon buildup is inevitable.

I had to play around with the hoses so the engine cover would properly fit but it worked out well. Here are some pics of the install. As you can see the JLT rubber hoses need to run underneath the wiring harness that has the aluminum heat wrap on it.

The part number is 3016P and it is the same one used for the 2017 F150's.

View attachment 21945

View attachment 21947

View attachment 21955

View attachment 21956

Direct injection and VVT on small block turbo installed in a truck.
Shame on Ford. The need for a catch can after market says it all.
Just use synthetic and change often. Keep that oil clean and you have very good chance you won’t experience known issues w VVT.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just use synthetic and change often. Keep that oil clean and you have very good chance you won’t experience known issues w VVT.

Thing is just about any vehicle can benefit from a catch can....even a performance car from back in the day.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Just for clarity, the 3.5TT EB in the Expy does not have VVT or VGT Turbos. They are single geometry Wastegated Turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like IBV 150 stated so eloquently, any vehicle can benefit from a catch can. If you don't care a rats patoot, then don't. But when your 5-7 year old twin turbo melts down early, don't come here ********. Remember pcv valves and clean oils will take you just so far. And damage like age, sneaks up on you. Did you guys/girls at 20, ever dream you'd have back, knee or colon problems at 60? Of course not. Your engine is 20 years old right now, diet and exercise for it are critical, just like us. If you knew 40 years ago in 1979, something that would keep you healthy in 2019, and was easy to do, your damn Skippy you'd do it. Why fight logic, getting sludge out works. It works with us, it works with cars/SUVs.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may help stop the valve coking but not sure how it’s gonna stop the innercooler from getting oil logged without a collection system in place. My opinion is that I would still install a catch can. I don’t like the idea of drilling a hole in the innercooler and have it weep oil constantly ....especially on my garage floor.

Hey I’m just a somewhat old timer on here and although it seems I’ve worked on every carbed engine ever made was just wondering, “where does the oil go that isn’t caught in a catch can?” I suppose into the oil cooler for the turbos?? Thanks, oh yea, this is the first turbo I’ve ever owned.......