Just curious- why no interior release on fuel filler door?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharPatton

Reaction score
Hi: Just got a 2023 Ford Timberline, and am curious why there is no interior (from the driver's seat) release on the fuel filler door. First new car we've bought in a while, but all of our old cars had a release on the front console to unlock the fuel filler door. Any ideas why Ford didn't implement this? Or, conversely, why so many cars have it? Many thanks!

FridgeRover

Reaction score
Most new cars don't have one anymore, and it's tied into central locking. If car is locked, door is locked, if unlocked when you press it it will open.

I'm 95% sure the Expedition is this way, but I have yet to fill up our brand new '22. My '21 Volvo and wife's '18 X3 are this way too.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the vehicle doors are locked the the fuel filler door is locked too? good! never knew that.... i was always scared someone would easily be able to pour something into my gas tank .

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do u need a release door? Just curious. Our mazda cx9 has a release door and I just don't understand why, it's more frustrating than a push in.

Dworth

Reaction score
If the vehicle doors are locked the the fuel filler door is locked too? good! never knew that.... i was always scared someone would easily be able to pour something into my gas tank .
Not accurate on my 21 XLT. Just a push in to pop out. I think they make a locking plug for filler neck though.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So glad mine doesn't have an inside release. I hate those things. It just makes me walk back to the front to open it after I forget to press the stupid button.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe that Ford considers their anti-siphon protection to be good enough not to need a locking door. I'm not sure if there's protection for pouring something else in - there is a reason you have to use the special funnel to fill with a gas can so it's possible you can't pour anything in without the right spout...

I really like the idea of locked doors = locked fuel-fill door. Wish that was the case on my 2018.