Just got my 2012 EL Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,
I just picked up my 2012 EL Limited 4x4. Drove a couple hundred miles to get it and used it to tow my car back home. Ride is great, love the six speed, and got about 12 mpg hauling a car at interstate speeds.
Got home and washed it, folded seats down and made a plywood mat to protect the rear. Did an oil change, checked fluids, fooled with buttons for a couple of hours, etc. I've been waiting for this so long.
Cranked it up yesterday morning and thought I heard a slight tick tick tick for a second. Then it stumbled and died. Probably phasers and chain time but no worries, I already ordered a complete kit. No ebay stuff,, all Ford and not just some of it,, all of it.. This is my second 5.4 3v btw.
Tried to restart it and it was locked up. Couldn't make a full revolution with a socket on the crank. Pulled the valve covers and found I had lost a cam follower, found a valve spring and seat, but valve dropped into cylinder.
So, I am grateful she made it home before she died, but the whole point of this was to have one vehicle that wasn't a project. Now I know I paid too much but what's done is done. Plan is to pull the motor and send it to my builder, maybe free up a little more torque but mostly stock.
So, that's my introduction to the Expedition forums. I've been on the FTE forums 20 years, probably ran across a few of you over there at some point. I hope yours is running a little better than mine, but I'll catch up soon.