just how far can you go after zero miles to empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This morning i left house with 12 miles to empty, headed to town about 9 miles away to get gas. my neighborhood is 2 miles from my house to the main road so it eats fuel horribly at 20 mph and dozen stop signs
about 2 miles outside of town my miles to empty dropped to ZERO and gauge turned red.

i had a hill to coast down and then a small hill until town, i kept waiting for engine to shut off, i had to accelerate going up hill cause the jackwagon in front of me SLOWED down
so i get to town and stop at first station and put in 1.49 gallons or 3 dollars of fuel, so i can make it to my favorite station that i have 30 cents of a gallon

so restart after putting in 1.49 gallons and DTE read 17 miles,
i then go another mile to the other station and pumped in 29.389 gallons
for a grand total of 30.879 gallons

yes i was puckering when it was reading zero miles for close to 2 miles
tank is listed as 33.5 gallons, so i seems i had just a tad over 2 gallons floating around, i could have gone to the preferred station MAYBE

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve read the 34 gallon tank in our EL’s keep about 3.5 gallons of reserve. 3.5 gallons times your expected MPG (city or highway). Could be around 40-50 miles depending on conditions.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve read the 34 gallon tank in our EL’s keep about 3.5 gallons of reserve. 3.5 gallons times your expected MPG (city or highway). Could be around 40-50 miles depending on conditions.

I use a Kiwi and have been lucky enough to a few times to have my HP Tuner MPVI2 attached when I have needed fuel. Typically at ZERO to go I see 7-9% left based on the fuel level sensor, not the gauge. I’ve gone 17 miles beyond when I saw zero to go, and still had like 4% left in the tank.

No need to fret under those conditions. You can at least go 10-15 miles with no worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that makes me feel better, it was interesting as it was very very cold and i did not want to walk to go get fuel.
seeing that big 0 on the miles to empty was weird...my wife was giving me the EYE

2.5 gallons floating around as a reserve, imo was close,
i had two more four way stops and possible school bus as we came into town

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
that makes me feel better, it was interesting as it was very very cold and i did not want to walk to go get fuel.
seeing that big 0 on the miles to empty was weird...my wife was giving me the EYE

2.5 gallons floating around as a reserve, imo was close,
i had two more four way stops and possible school bus as we came into town

Like the video that J07 posted 30+ miles is a safe number as long as you aren’t stomping it!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This morning i left house with 12 miles to empty, headed to town about 9 miles away to get gas. my neighborhood is 2 miles from my house to the main road so it eats fuel horribly at 20 mph and dozen stop signs
about 2 miles outside of town my miles to empty dropped to ZERO and gauge turned red.

i had a hill to coast down and then a small hill until town, i kept waiting for engine to shut off, i had to accelerate going up hill cause the jackwagon in front of me SLOWED down
so i get to town and stop at first station and put in 1.49 gallons or 3 dollars of fuel, so i can make it to my favorite station that i have 30 cents of a gallon

so restart after putting in 1.49 gallons and DTE read 17 miles,
i then go another mile to the other station and pumped in 29.389 gallons
for a grand total of 30.879 gallons

yes i was puckering when it was reading zero miles for close to 2 miles
tank is listed as 33.5 gallons, so i seems i had just a tad over 2 gallons floating around, i could have gone to the preferred station MAYBE

You sound like you’re one of the motorists that have no problem running out of fuel, then expect a law enforcement officer to stop and take you for gas.

I have never understood people that drive a motor vehicle with an extremely low amount of fuel.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You sound like you’re one of the motorists that have no problem running out of fuel, then expect a law enforcement officer to stop and take you for gas.

I have never understood people that drive a motor vehicle with an extremely low amount of fuel.

I think he got like this by accident, hence why he stopped and put 1.5 Gallons in. You are ridiculous.

I have run out of gas before because of a broken gauge, but I walked to get the fuel myself. Never expected a cop to pick me up.

Also, every officer I know would have no issue with doing this if they needed to. They would love it. Most of our local departments have motorist assistance officers for this type of thing anyway.

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

no i never run out of ******* gas, in fact get nervy under 1/4
it was one of those one ******* off situations where i had to get home the other day to deal with an issue and arrived with 12 miles to empty after a long expedient drive to get home
my house to town is less than that. I was merely commenting on oh shit its zero miles to empty.
so ******* thank you very much
as far as LEO bringing gas, those days died in the 70s
and yes i have great road side that would bring fuel no question.