Just picked up my first! A few questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JabroniBro

Reaction score
So I just got my first Expy. She's a 2000 Eddie Bauer with 161k miles. The last owner had her for ten years. I just gave her a full detail (after this pic was taken, sorry). I know there are a couple very slow leaks (not enough to leave any drips on the ground, just slow seeps that burn off) but I'm not too concerned with it at the moment.

It just got a nice reman'd transmission 6k miles ago and shifts so smooth. It also all of its plugs and coils changes about 3k miles ago. O2 sensor at that time too and a more recent oil change.

Prior to the wash I did notice the driver side and passenger side floorboards were damp. The passenger side appeared to be water and it seems that's a common issue with the condenser. Anybody care to walk me through what specifically needs to be done to fix that?

However, the driver side seemed to be a bit soapy or oily. No smell. I know the windshield wash has a leak somewhere and I believe the rear wiper has a hose near the pedals that can sometimes be the culprit. Anybody else ever dealt with this?

I plan to get both diffs and the TC serviced before winter. New tires are arriving on Monday. From there my winter project is replacing the water pump (I think it's the original) along with the serp belt and tensioner and the fan clutch. Just basic tune up preventative maintenance stuff.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll be posting more now that I finally have one.

http://imgur.com/a/Xz9WkBz

Xz9WkBz

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice ride. I have a '98EB I bought about this time last yr with same mileage yours does, although it has 187,000 now. It's been an awesome vehicle. I put a valve body in the tranny to help it last longer and a new 4 link setup.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wet carpet could be windshield related too. The seal is problematic.

nice 2000. I also have a 2000 EB. I've got 259k miles. Still runs good.

OP
OP
J

JabroniBro

Reaction score
Thanks! I got it for $2k which I think was a steal. The owner paid $5k for the transmission plus install.

I was under the impression the windshield leak causes the driver side to be damp. Can it affect the passenger side as well? The driver side is a clear liquid but it isn't water. I'm thinking maybe washer fluid.... I did not detect any noticeable wetness on either side after I washed it.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it smell like coolant? Could be the heater core.

Do you have a sunroof? Clogged drains potentially.

OP
OP
J

JabroniBro

Reaction score
The liquid did not have a smell. I used to have an old Cherokee and always the dreaded the infamous heater core leak. Are there coolant lines running near the driver side floorboard area?

Yep, I do have a sunroof. Haven't opened it yet to check the drains but that'll be my next step.

Ghetto Geek

Reaction score
@JabroniBro,

First of all welcome to the family! I bought my 1st ExpyEB as a Father's Day present to myself 2017 with 131K for $1500. I saw the same thing on mine and I agree with @ExplorerTom on a few fronts. It could be a window seal leak that you need to inspect a little deeper. Especially after a windshield replacement (you may not know that it was recently replaced). There are some windshield installers who don't take the time to thoroughly reseal all the associated seals because they are lazy and don't have pride in their work. Or it could just be time and good old Mother Nature. Here's what I'll say to look for: It could be your weatherstrip seal surrounding the metal around the front doors, and windows that's leaking. So between the seal and the truck's A-pillar (probably on the driver's side because that side is going to have the most wear from being occupied the most) where it contacts those metal areas is a gap that can leak water from up top of the door and trickle-down right out of sight, near the dashboard (via gravity) right past the fuse box and GEM module to the floor mats soaking one side and then over the other. Soapy makes me think that the vehicle was washed prior to sell and was unnoticed because someone doesn't drive it frequently. Heater core would be more soaked on the passenger side and you can smell (almost or even taste ) it's sweetness.

I would do a controlled experiment. I'd fill 2-gallon jugs with water and add a little food coloring to the water (that you know you could see easily and won't permanently stain the carpet) and slowly poor (at an even rate where enough of the water if able would penetrate the seal and enter the Expy) back and forth along the windshield and door areas on the driver’s side 1st and wait for about 15 minutes and refill the jugs with water and food coloring, then repeat in the same area as before. Wait an hour and then with a flashlight and a few clean paper towels start trying to find if it came inside the cabin and around the weatherstripping, window seals, windshield gasket, around the dashboard and down to the carpet. If no luck, repeat this process on the passenger side. Hey, make it a fun event with the little ones!

We all know how hard rock can be and that rock can be carved with precision by water. We also know that if there’s a place for water to travel...it will. So I would again look there, especially since you live in a wet climate such as is in Oregon. If you find it. Get new Maybe add a little blue silicone to the metal or light adhesive or expanding foam fill (flex seal???) before applying some new weatherstripping. Hopefully that works. I'm just shooting in the dark. Please don't let someone in the community start throwing tomatoes at me or anything. LOL

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suggest an addendum to ghetto geeks experiment
I would do a controlled experiment. I'd fill 2-gallon jugs with water and add a little food coloring to the water
Simultaneously; fill another container approx 12 ounces in size with a few ice cubes and a brown liquid made in Kentucky.
This wont fix the leak, but after a couple refills, it wont bother you so much.

OP
OP
J

JabroniBro

Reaction score
The windshield still has the Ford logo and all so I'm operating under the assumption it hasn't been replaced - unless at the dealership I suppose.

I checked the door weatherstripping when I detailed it and everything looked good but I'll be checking it again more closely, along with checking the sunroof drains. I just want to keep this thing on the road without investing a bunch of money into it so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

pi3053

Reaction score
Had that same problem on both sides. After reading several items about windshield leaks which are common in these, I checked mine and you could lift the glass at the top corners and see the leak. Since I had a small chip in the glass I had it replaced no leaks anymore! Glass tech said it was the easiest removal he ever had.