Key Fob Programming? DIY or Dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know if one can program a replacement key fob yourself or does it need to be done at a dealership.

I found a few videos and write-up but they seem to be for the older generation key fobs where a physical key is involved.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know if one can program a replacement key fob yourself or does it need to be done at a dealership.

I found a few videos and write-up but they seem to be for the older generation key fobs where a physical key is involved.

Thanks in advance!

The vehicle owner’s manual had instructions on how to program a third intelligent-key fob for my 2015 Expedition Limited.

I bought a new fob from the dealer and programmed it (the dealer cut the hidden, door key included with the fob).

What does you vehicle owner’s manual say about the fob?

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

So you can use some scan tools (Advanced ones with bi-directional controls) to do this. However, the easiest way for a DIY is most likely using Forscan if you don't have access to another tool or someone that does.

OP
OP
Lou Hamilton

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicle owner’s manual had instructions on how to program a third intelligent-key fob for my 2015 Expedition Limited.

I bought a new fob from the dealer and programmed it (the dealer cut the hidden, door key included with the fob).

What does you vehicle owner’s manual say about the fob?

It says nothing about programming a new one. Only talks how you can link a preset memory function (seats, steering wheel, etc.) to a specific key fob.

OP
OP
Lou Hamilton

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you can use some scan tools (Advanced ones with bi-directional controls) to do this. However, the easiest way for a DIY is most likely using Forscan if you don't have access to another tool or someone that does.

I have ForScan. Never saw a process for a new key fob. I’ll poke around some more. Thanks.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It says nothing about programming a new one. Only talks how you can link a preset memory function (seats, steering wheel, etc.) to a specific key fob.

Out of curiosity - I checked Ford’s online owner’s manual for the 2019 Expedition. Instructions were included on page 81 on how the owner can program an additional intelligent key.

Reaction score
I have ForScan. Never saw a process for a new key fob. I’ll poke around some more. Thanks.

You will need to have two keys to program them, it's a ford thing. It will be part of the PATS system, I believe PATS are in the IPC module for 2019's but I could be wrong. Let us know if you are able to get it.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have done it. Just follow the instructions. There is a maximum of 4 keys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bretbrat