Key question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul D Lloyd

Reaction score
Hey gang, I recently purchased an 03 EB Expy that was a "salvage" vehicle. It only came with the fob and one key, but the keyed door lock is broken. After a trip to my closest pull-a-part, I found a door handle with lock cylinder, ignition lock cylinder, PATS halo, and 2 keys! I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to utilize these as a "one key sytem". For instance could I just swap out the halo and the other keys would work, or are the RFIDs stored to the pcm? Could I trick the truck into thinking the original key is being used, but use the other keys? Specifically I'm thinking take the halo out of the column, put the old key in it under the dash, then swap the cylinders to work with the other keys. Any insight you might have would be great! I just don't want to be stuck if I lose my keys!

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could you take the good door lock to your local locksmith and have him key it to your lone single key? Then also make/program another PATS key for you?

OP
OP
P

Paul D Lloyd

Reaction score
So far, I've tried 4 different locksmiths near me, none of them deal in programming... tried (briefly) to disassemble the tumbler for the working door to re-key it to the existing key, but it was late, I got frustrated, and never got back to it. I'm thinking the old key/halo under the dash might work, as I've seen that setup used for aftermarket remote starts.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have one PATS key, take it to Wallyworld. They will program a new key the same as your existing key. I did it with my 03, and works perfect every time!

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you need a new PATS halo antenna, you'd need the computer it connects to if you wanted it to be plug-and-play. As it stands you'll prolly have to swap the ignition components and then get it to a dealer to reprogram it, since at that point you'll have 0 working keys.

Maybe you could do the door handles and then take it to a dealer using the one good key and have them swap the ignition and reprogram it for you?

Wolf

Reaction score
I'm a locksmith... The key for our trucks (and most Ford's) are cloneable, so changing out the security system isn't needed. If your door cylinder is fubar, most of the time a locksmith can re-pin it for you--same with the ignition.

If you go to Walmart or find a smith that can cut a metal key, part number H75, and you can ship it to me I can pin the door and ignition cylinder to your key and ship it all back to you.

The other option is taking it to the dealer as stated above, just thought I'd offer as a fellow Expedition owner...

You can email me if you'd like [email protected]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tryspaygee