knocking noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a quick note here. I worked at a dealership-not ford- and the same thing would happen. Turned out 90% of the time switching to an oem oil filter stopped the problem. Worth a try.:D

Yeah that was my point exactly. I've seen it before and people tend to go overboard with worst case scenarios, and I fixed it by simply replacing the oil filter with a better one that has the anti-drainback valve.

On a side note, I changed my fuel filter a few weeks ago and when I restarted the engine it was knocking- but it was a spark/detonation knock. At that time I had a tank of 87 octane, which I don't normally run. I had also disconnected the battery by accident (the cable was loose and I bumped it). So when I restarted the truck it was not only full of air in the fuel lines, but the computer was relearning the idle fuel trim. I let it idle for a min, and every time I tried to rev the engine it would knock/ping loudly instead of accelerating. After about 2 minutes it cleared up and hasn't done it since.

So my point is that possibly some of the members here with startup knock sounds could be oil filter/oil pressure related, and some could be ignition/detonation related knock. One person says he only has this problem with certain fuel grades- that proves my second point. To help cure this problem I would say to do a carbon removal treatment to remove carbon build up from "inside" the combustion chamber, not the typical cheezy fuel additive treatment that you pour in the gas tank. I'm talkin about using seafoam through the vacuum hose, or boiling water through the vacuum hose.

By using water there's more risk of cracking a head if you don't know what your doing. The water turns into steam and blows the carbon off the top of the piston and the face of the valves etc. Seafoam kind of soaks into the carbon and then burns off the carbon.

Oliver B

Reaction score
What I've noticed when I start mine is for the first few seconds there is heavy knocking and clicking, goes away when it warms up, I want this truck to run safely for when I turn 16. Also trying to make sure it's not damaging the engine or that it's going to harm me, 300k miles on the thing, south texas area

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You're reviving an eleven year old thread, but you're welcome here.

Knocking is usually not good and on a 300k mile motor, it could be anything. You should probably stop at a good private repair shop and ask their mechanic to give you an opinion. Forget any of the chain stores -- you need a knowledgeable opinion.

Drive safe, and I hope you enjoy many happy miles with your new truck.