Knocking sound under rear of 2021expedition STX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patty Cake

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a new 2021 Expedition STX that has a knocking sound under the rear end only when towing my 2500 pound camper. It started as a clicking sound near the rear axle and has steadily gotten worse. The knocking is present with or without cruise, built in anti sway on or off, tow haul mode on or off. It is heard above 45 miles per hour. Don’t think the noise is coming from the camper. Hitch does not rattle, I disconnected the camper chains from the car, removed the propane tank cover and the sound is still there. I also completely emptied the cargo space behind the 2nd row. The STX model does not have a third row seat. The spare tier is secure. I sat in the back of the expedition while hubby was driving 63mph with camper in tow and the sound seems to be coming from the passenger side rear corner. Any ideas what could be causing this? Could it be part of the electronic suspension, built in anti sway device?

Last edited:

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Have you checked to make sure your exhaust pipe isn’t rattling against the metal shrouds around the slate tire underneath the truck or maybe the frame? All that weight can cause metal vibrations especially on components like the exhaust pipe. Seeing as how that is on passenger side rear, I’d start there in that area under the truck

Tuck

Reaction score
If you're not using a weight distribution hitch and have a light tongue weight your hitch could be knocking around in the receiver. Even with a heavier tongue weight some bumps could make the hitch move around in the receiver and knock. The hitch is just a little smaller than the receiver. Before you hook up the trailer next time move the hitch with your hand and you'll see the play in it. I don't tow heavy so I get the knocking when hitting bumps/ruts. They make some gadgets to help with that. An internet search will give you a lot of choices. I got the Rhino USA anti-rattle clamp. It seems to work ok but there are probably better out there.

If it's more than that (suspension/drivetrain/frame) I'll leave it to others with more mechanical knowledge to chime in.

OP
OP
P

Patty Cake

Reaction score
Did get under the muffler and it and pipe was solid. I also wrapped the hitch in rubber, it fits snugly and no metal on metal.

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a new 2021 Expedition STX that has a knocking sound under the rear end only when towing my 2500 pound camper. It started as a clicking sound near the rear axle and has steadily gotten worse. The knocking is present with or without cruise, built in anti sway on or off, tow haul mode on or off. It is heard above 45 miles per hour. Don’t think the noise is coming from the camper. Hitch does not rattle, I disconnected the camper chains from the car, removed the propane tank cover and the sound is still there. I also completely emptied the cargo space behind the 2nd row. The STX model does not have a third row seat. The spare tier is secure. I sat in the back of the expedition while hubby was driving 63mph with camper in tow and the sound seems to be coming from the passenger side rear corner. Any ideas what could be causing this? Could it be part of the electronic suspension, built in anti sway device?
Have you checked the sway bar end links, both when under load, and completely unloaded (IE: Rear tires off the ground)?
Have you checked the rear shocks under compression, and otherwise?
Have the rear wheels, or the wheels on the trailer been off recently?
While sitting still, and under compression, a lot of what you may be hearing is masked, your best bet is to get the truck on a lift, which will allow the wheels to droop, and the suspension to become "unloaded", at that point checking all of the above is highly recommended.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill

OP
OP
P

Patty Cake

Reaction score
Thank you mrmustang. I looked up sway bar end links description of problem sounds and that is exactly what mine is doing! Appt with dealer in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
P

Patty Cake

Reaction score
Mrmustang I had an appointment this am about the intermittent bumping and clicking that sounds like it was coming from the back axle. Interestingly enough after listening to all that bumping and clicking for a nearly 1000 mile trip towing a 2500 pound camper earlier this month I tried for 2 days to get it to bump again while towing the camper. No luck, not a sound! I kept the appointment and had it examined on lift at the dealer. No loose bolts, broken or loose parts, or signs of rubbing on the front or rear suspension. Was told it might just have been the suspension settling in. Anyway, time will tell….
Thanks for all the suggestions on my new 2021 Expedition. FYI I did wait until I had put more than 1000 miles on the vehicle before I towed the camper as instructed per the manual.

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few questions for the group here. I am having two fairly new noises that sounds suspension related, one up front and one in the back (actually maybe two).

On the front, I've had a small noise that sounds similar to a loose steering knuckle or something, that only really happens as I hit small dips while turning. I.e. driving over a drainage dip while turning from one street to another. Sometimes I can replicate this by driving up my driveway (the transition from street to curb) at slow speeds while turning. Trouble with this one is I can't really replicate it at all outside the vehicle. There's no place to get leverage to try and rock the vehicle up front (I feel like i'm going to buckle the 1/4 panels if I grab or push on them). But it very much sounds like a metal popping noise.

On the rear, there seems to be two noises, one sounds like something loose, the other is metal clunking. Both happen pretty regularly when backing up and down the driveway going over the curb. One of them happens if I stand on a tire, grab the luggage rail and shake the car back and forth. It actually sounds like something inside the fuel tank is rocking back and forth and knocking, but I can't crawl under in time to hear it quickly and my wife is too small to get the vehicle to rock while I'm under it. There's also a loud metal popping noise that I can hear inside the vehicle and if I roll down the windows I can hear it as well.

In general, I'd really like to be able to figure these things out a little bit, to point the techs to them. I can't drop off a vehicle and let it sit there for 2 days (or more) while they troubleshoot, with zero loaners and no spare car, I need to have a way to get kids back and forth to school, practice, and go meet my customers. Does anyone have any good suggestions for troubleshooting noises on these? I've crawled under several times and banged on stuff, grabbed as many parts as I could and shook things back and forth, just can't seem to find anything. I've checked all exhaust components, heat shields, spare tire, skid plates, sway bar end links, etc.

Thanks in advance.

**************Update***************

So it appears I have figured out both of the noises. at least I believe so. After pulling off the front wheels/tires, double checking everything I could including taking off my skid plates, checking everything under them, checking intercooler, checking exhaust, etc, I decided that the only thing that's changed in quite a while was putting on the Moog sway bar end links. So I decided to take off the two front Moog links, and put my Energy Suspension parts back on. Tightened everything up and tested it on the curb, and sure enough the front noise appears to be gone.

Then, on the back, to help troubleshoot, I just disconnected the rear sway bar, from the Moog links, and tested on the curb, voila, noise gone. So I readjusted the rears, cranked them down real tight and so far the noise is gone.

They were all very tight before, the only thing I can think of is that the studs on the Moog links are definitely smaller in diameter than the holes on the aftermarket sway bars. I'm a little curious if that diameter difference creates a situation where they might exhibit this popping behavior over time. They are still tight, but they begin to move inside the holes. Just a mere thought. So for now, I'll leave it this way, but I'd like to get the moog's working again.

thanks.

Last edited: