L/R Brake Lights not working, Center High Brake light works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
2000 Expedition, Eddie Bower, 5.4L.

Had to haul some stuff to the dump with a trailer that I use occasionally. Now my L/R Brake Lights don't work on the truck, and not to the trailer either. Not shown in any of the manuals, but I believe that there is a factory relay tow connector package installed on this model. I believe the L/R Brake lights were working before connecting to the trailer this week.

I went to my Chilton's and Haynes manuals and see that the line that feeds the high brake light, then feeds into a module.

I went looking for a fuse, but both the factory owner's manual and the third party repair manuals refer to fuse numbers that don't do what they are supposed to do (not sure what's up with that).

I remember having a similar issue in a 94 Explorer that turned out to the turn signal multi-function switch, but even then, with wiggling it, the L/R brake lights would come on (sometimes just one or the other), and it was fixed by simply replacing the turn signal switch/module with one from a junk yard.

As I know it may come up, this truck stays in a garage and has been dry most of the year (i.e. I don't think I have a Gem moisture issue).

Anyway, has anyone with a 2000 EB model ever had this issue, and where would you suggest I start my search?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide :)

Johnny O

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have fun...

Attachments

• turn-stop-hazard 1.pdf
    263.5 KB · Views: 14
  • turn-stop-hazard 2.pdf
    239.5 KB · Views: 7
  • turn-stop-hazard 3.pdf
    195.7 KB · Views: 7
  • turn-stop-hazard 4.pdf
    246.3 KB · Views: 7
  • turn-stop-hazard 5.pdf
    204 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
Stamp,

Yes Indeed, Many Thanks!!!!!!

Those are great!

Stay Well and I will report back once I have a definitive solution.

Johnny O

OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
Stamp,

Success,

After reviewing and marking in green what was working on the electrical diagrams, it was obvious that it was an issue either in the multi-function turn switch or with conductor C253 from the Brake Pedal Switch splice S231 to the multi-function switch connection 511.
View media item 7071I removed the lower instrument cluster trim piece and the two trim pieces wrapping the steering wheel column. The wiring to the top connector of the multi-function turn switch looked like some of the conductors were coming out of the connector housing (i.e. I could see the metal crimp parts coming out of the connector).
View media item 7069 I identified conductor C253M (light green) and it came right out of the connector without any resistance (I made sure to note the orientation of the metal connector part for later reinsertion). I put my meter on it and stepped on the brake. 12V was seen and verified the connection to the brake pedal was good. I reinserted the conductor/pin connector assembly into the connector housing and pushed it all the way back in (making sure the orientation was the same as when I pulled it out, as the pin on the multi-function switch is really a blade, not a pin).

Tested for L/R brake light operation, which was now good. I then used a needle nose pair of plyers to push the other loose conductors back into the connector housing so that they all looked normal.

I then tested all other functions of the switch, which were normal. I reassembled the trim items back onto the steering wheel column. Then retested as the top trim piece was a PITA to place.

All is good. Thank you for the diagrams. It made the project easy.

Stay Well!

Johnny O

Last edited:
OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
Opps, tried to delete this message but can only edit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xJohnnyOx

xJohnnyOx

Reaction score
Stamp,

New issue came up. Trailer Turn Signal/E-Flashers not working. Can you provide the e-diagrams for that assembly. Pages 95-1 and 95-2 (and any others?). I suspect a fuse, but the owners manual does not list a fuse specifically for the Tow Package Turn Relays (it does for the position lights). Thank you JohnnyO