Lack of acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
Can you tell if the tranny is kicking down out of overdrive when you're trying to accelerate ? Or if you manually hit the overdrive button on the shifter and kick it out yourself ? I assume you have the TRS properly adjusted right ? Reverse lights come on properly when you put the shifter in reverse, and it starts as it should in Park or Neutral ?

everything works properly. It starts fine, plus I had the flywheel replaced which occurred post problem. If anything, the upshifting is the issue. I have adjusted the TRS properly atleast to my knowledge. Is there a write up on the procedure.

Are you certain that this isn't a miss? How are the plugs? Very often the ignition breaking up presents as a transmission problem.

I’m not sure about plugs, tried to pull one but one that I tried didn’t budge so I backed off, gotta buy the tools for the “oh crap” moments. I’m dreading the process and finding the time to do it unless I pay a shop. The local dealer wanted $400 plus depending on how many plugs broke.

A long shot, but please check for dragging brakes.....

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

might be work the look. I had to replace a section of brake line, but this occurred before the issue. Never would have thought of this one. Wouldn’t I have noticed any other drivability concerns with dragging brakes though?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a dragging rear brake I never noticed until I was bringing some big furniture home and had the back hatch open. I started smelling that very familiar smell.

In my case I replaced the rear calipers and all of the rubber brake lines. The problem went away. It took a lot of troubleshooting though.

As far as misfires. If you have COP s, be sure to install new rubber boot kits.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to respond. When I changed out the plugs one of the cylinders was stripped and someone didn’t properly install the thread insert. Changed all 8 plugs, improvement but not change. I finally broken down and bought a fuel pump which was PITA to install but got it done and it improved enough to justify a new pump, but still loses acceleration going up hill. I went from losing speed to at least holding speed (staying at 50mph). On flat road, it shifts and accelerates fine, sometimes it lags when it’s seemingly time to shift. Also, this normally happens when it’s warmed up to normal operating temp.

At this point I don’t want to keep throwing parts at it, but the only thing I haven’t done is new cops. Still no CEL. Also on the side I changed out a shift solenoid and the filter just because.

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
I’m also starting to think something’s up with the cats. Theres an occasional rattling noise under the Expy that randomly comes and goes

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
The following list were necessary repairs

Changed Fuel Pump, 8 COPs, Intake Gasket

Still having the same problem, I thought cats but I took it to a shop and they said they are fine. No misses, no codes…I’m stumped.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have not already, clean the MAF sensor, check air filter, replace fuel filter (although I guess your pressure is ok?), check EGR, and check for vacuum leaks. I have had to replace several elbows and hosing, and the whole PCV. Also check battery and alternator cables - hard to notice corrosion behind the cable insulation, and this can cause different issues besides dead batteries. My suggestions seem obvious, but simple things can get overlooked and these will cause the exact symptoms you are having, and I have had all these problems with mine.
I have not had clogged cats, but a friend did. At one point the Exp was idling while he was unplugging and checking vac hoses around the throttle body, and noticed exhaust backflowing from the vac hoses. There are other ways of checking cats that I have seen on Youtube. Eric the Car Guy did a good one. See if that helps.
If none of these leads anywhere, I would double back on the stuff you replaced. You didn't mention brands of parts you used, but alot of people on here and the Facebook forums have problems with non Motorcraft parts. And among those, COPs are #1 by far (Motorcraft COPs are about a million dollars x 8).

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
Well they are cheap coils just because I couldn’t do motorcraft at the time. I’ll have to recheck vacuum lines I did while I changed the intake gasket (cel code) but it might be worth doubling back on the vacuum lines.

Lee_H

Reaction score
I have a post on my 2003 Expedition that had the brakes (mostly the driver's side front caliper) that dragged. It felt like I was towing something all the time but I could get to highway speeds. Lucky I didn't do that much or for very long, the rotor survived. As an old school problem may have popped up, any exhaust blockage from the cat. converter? That used to limit engine rpm. It may not explain the error code or transmission switch selector not co-operating. Something may have been bumped while changing the switch and causing the honey comb selection of the cat. converter to collapse. That would limit the engine power but not stop the engine from starting.

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
Between work, school and life I haven’t been on here for a while.

Anyway…

I’ll check the brakes thing only because I noticed something weird with the driver side front rotor which was strange in comparison to all the others. I’m also going to do a temp check on the cats I read somewhere the temp post cat should be hotter than pre Cat or something like that