Lane Keeping System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eyecando

Reaction score
I'm not sure the lane keeping system that applies torque to the steering wheel to prevent the vehicle from crossing the lane is working properly on my 2019 Expedition Platinum 4x4. The alert part works OK, but I only get a feeble push back from the steering wheel when the car drifts out of the lane and it is not sufficient to keep the vehicle in the lane. This happens on all roads even those with excellent markings.

Is this normal? It's been a while but I have driven other Ford rental vehicles with this system and I don't remember this issue.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure the lane keeping system that applies torque to the steering wheel to prevent the vehicle from crossing the lane is working properly on my 2019 Expedition Platinum 4x4. The alert part works OK, but I only get a feeble push back from the steering wheel when the car drifts out of the lane and it is not sufficient to keep the vehicle in the lane. This happens on all roads even those with excellent markings.

Is this normal? It's been a while but I have driven other Ford rental vehicles with this system and I don't remember this issue.

I don’t think I have ever received an alert even though I have it enabled. 90% of the time it doesn’t counter steer for me until the truck is at least touching the line.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have found that a) you can't expect the LKS to turn the truck through a corner, and b) you can't let it be your autopilot. It's not good enough to trust. I turn it off when towing as it makes the trailer sway worse. It also doesn't take much to fool it. Basically, you can let it provide those hints (may help if you wander when shoulder checking or something) but don't trust it for anything else.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you have your settings at? Mine will take the wheel out of your hand in the highest setting. It gets confused with on ramps and I have to give it a pretty good nudge to override it. I only really use it for poor driving conditions. It can see the road better than I can in a storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Eyecando

Reaction score
I have the settings on maximum, but it will never take the wheel out of my hand. It only provides a very slight nudge which is not enough most of the time.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think it is as good as it could be, having another vehicle with lane assist which works much better. sometimes, it will let you drift to the point that it will cross the line without correction. Not always, though.

I also have it, occasionally, make it very difficult to turn the wheel for no real good reason.

essentially, don’t rely on it.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the new Ford Co-Pilot 360 assist just the same thing as our LKS and radar CC but just renamed as a package? Or is it more developing into an "autodrive" type system? Just curious...

I am not that fond of the LKS on my 2018 and usually have it off.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the new Ford Co-Pilot 360 assist just the same thing as our LKS and radar CC but just renamed as a package? Or is it more developing into an "autodrive" type system? Just curious...

I am not that fond of the LKS on my 2018 and usually have it off.

My wife’s Aviator has the new Co-Pilot 360 plus. It has the ability to stop the car and restart it. So if you’re in a traffic jam it will stay moving with the traffic by itself. It also has auto braking in reverse. It can read the speed limit signs and automatically adjust your cruise control to the new speed. They claim evasive driving assist, but we are not sure what that does. Dealer told us if you come up on a slower car on a multi lane HWY it will change lanes to pass. We have not seen it do it yet. Plus the normal park assist and lane keeping.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife’s Aviator has the new Co-Pilot 360 plus. It has the ability to stop the car and restart it. So if you’re in a traffic jam it will stay moving with the traffic by itself. It also has auto braking in reverse. It can read the speed limit signs and automatically adjust your cruise control to the new speed. They claim evasive driving assist, but we are not sure what that does. Dealer told us if you come up on a slower car on a multi lane HWY it will change lanes to pass. We have not seen it do it yet. Plus the normal park assist and lane keeping.

Ok interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Expy has the full auto brake and restart in traffic? I'm pretty sure I have done stop and go traffic with the CC on and it worked in that fashion. Changing lanes though, it does not.