Large Senior dog & loading help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else have a large senior dog that needs help into the back cargo area? We have a 12 year old lab mix that weighs 75 lbs or so. She can’t jump into the back of the Expedition, and while 75 lbs is no challenge for me, it is for others. Plus the dog doesn’t care for being picked up are set down. So I see there are ramps and steps out there. Anyone have experience with various solutions and have recommendations?

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a ramp for my dogs and they looked at me like I was crazy...

It was good quality and the perfect hieght for the back of the Expedition. I will update this post when I go out to the garage.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else have a large senior dog that needs help into the back cargo area? We have a 12 year old lab mix that weighs 75 lbs or so. She can’t jump into the back of the Expedition, and while 75 lbs is no challenge for me, it is for others. Plus the dog doesn’t care for being picked up are set down. So I see there are ramps and steps out there. Anyone have experience with various solutions and have recommendations?

You might also check out this thread...some good info there.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/expys-and-dogs.41414/

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You think that's bad, try lifting dogs into a semi.

Luckily my newest pups only 3 months old,

Lugnut

Reaction score
OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up getting a stair style setup from Amazon. Should arrive next week. We’ll see if an old dog can learn new tricks.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MxRacer - I have a senior lab at 70 lbs and new yellow at 83 lbs. Both had a tough time making the jump initially. The stairs work great but as you know, senior dogs are, shall we say, stuck in their ways?? We had to use a combo of treats and leash "guiding" to get him used to the stairs. If they were wider I think it would have helped. Of course the young one now jumps right past the steps! Our stairs fold up pretty small so it works well. Good luck with yours!