Largest possible spare tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednecked

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m getting a lift and wheels soon. Probably 305/70/17. Anyone know if these will fit in the spare tire location? What the largest tire that can fit?

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m having a 285/70r17 mounted on the 4th. I’ll let you know if it fits in the spare tire well.

FabLab05

Reaction score
Then it’s going to be tight fit. 305/70/17 Measures 33.8.
Yessir, it’ll be a touch snug but it’ll go. Mine actually measured just a touch over 34”. There’s also a bit of room in between the exhaust and spare tire heat shield to slot the mounting holes and move over slightly.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other thing to keep in mind besides diameter: A while back I decided I wanted a matching wheel and tire for a spare. I tow a lot, and I wanted to be able to install a matching wheel and tire if I got a flat in the middle of nowhere. So I purchased another matching 20" wheel and tire, lowered the factory spare and discovered that the bar attached to the lifting cable would not fit through the much smaller center hole of the 20" factory wheel. I felt really stupid for not checking that first. I now strap the matching spare to my trailer deck when going long distances.

OP
OP
Rednecked

Rednecked

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other thing to keep in mind besides diameter: A while back I decided I wanted a matching wheel and tire for a spare. I tow a lot, and I wanted to be able to install a matching wheel and tire if I got a flat in the middle of nowhere. So I purchased another matching 20" wheel and tire, lowered the factory spare and discovered that the bar attached to the lifting cable would not fit through the much smaller center hole of the 20" factory wheel. I felt really stupid for not checking that first. I now strap the matching spare to my trailer deck when going long distances.
Good point. I’m planning on keeping my spare rim. Looking into getting a tire to match whatever aftermarket size I’ll be getting.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I did have the 285/70r17 installed as a spare and the poor tech at discount tire had a heck of a time getting it up in the well with 35 psi of air in it… he got it in there though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani