Launch Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigga542

Reaction score
Do these 18+ have any built in launch control in sport mode or is there a way to enter it via hidden controls like other Ford vehicles? Referencing a full launch control or software based brake torquing, compared to manually doing it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No Ford SUV’s have Launch control.

Basically best launch is gained by Sport Mode, 4A, ELSD On, Traction Control Off. No need to turn AdvanceTrac off, it does not factor in to going straight.

Stand on the brake, push RPMs up to about 2800-2900, and hold for a sec(You can put boost up on Gauge Cluster to make sure you have built some up), full throttle, release brake. 2 footing on these things works best.

Stock tune fights you on the RPMs, but tuned, not a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got this on my Limited SE Max 4x4 with 22’s using the technique above.

9a22e6f4f8245faad20ed99574642131.jpg

This was a ZFG 93 Tune in “Drag” Mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dclr

Reaction score
No Ford SUV’s have Launch control.

Basically best launch is gained by Sport Mode, 4A, ELSD On, Traction Control Off. No need to turn AdvanceTrac off, it does not factor in to going straight.

Stand on the brake, push RPMs up to about 2800-2900, and hold for a sec(You can put boost up on Gauge Cluster to make sure you have built some up), full throttle, release brake. 2 footing on these things works best.

Stock tune fights you on the RPMs, but tuned, not a problem.

^^This. Tried it a few times and it's pretty exhilarating for a big SUV. Left foot on the brake, right foot on the skinny pedal. The brakes start to let go a little below 3K.

OP
OP
C

Craigga542

Reaction score
Got this on my Limited SE Max 4x4 with 22’s using the technique above.

9a22e6f4f8245faad20ed99574642131.jpg

This was a ZFG 93 Tune in “Drag” Mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Two thoughts. First, didn’t the stock one run 6 sec? I would have thought the tune would have taken off slightly more than that. Second, really curious if there’s a discernible difference between tow vs non-tow gearing.

What app is that, or is it the tuner?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Two thoughts. First, didn’t the stock one run 6 sec? I would have thought the tune would have taken off slightly more than that. Second, really curious if there’s a discernible difference between tow vs non-tow gearing.

What app is that, or is it the tuner?

I don’t base my times off numbers gotten from journalists on a track. That is perfect world. Mine is a the worst combo for good 0-60 from a weight, and unsprung weight. Limited, Long, with 22’s.

6.4 was my 0-60 stock with 93 in the tank. So that is almost a second off of factory with just a 93 tune. Impressive for this weight vehicle.

4x4 helps with traction, but adds weight. And I do have the Heavy Tow package. So 3.73’s, that helps with the launch.

The app is Dragy, it is not just an app, it talks to a VERY accurate little GPS device. It is just as accurate as being at a Track, the “apps” that others use, are not, because they use the phones GPS or the cars speedometer via OBDII. Both are inherently inaccurate.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t base my times off numbers gotten from journalists on a track. That is perfect world. Mine is a the worst combo for good 0-60 from a weight, and unsprung weight. Limited, Long, with 22’s.

6.4 was my 0-60 stock with 93 in the tank. So that is almost a second off of factory with just a 93 tune. Impressive for this weight vehicle.

4x4 helps with traction, but adds weight. And I do have the Heavy Tow package. So 3.73’s, that helps with the launch.

The app is Dragy, it is not just an app, it talks to a VERY accurate little GPS device. It is just as accurate as being at a Track, the “apps” that others use, are not, because they use the phones GPS or the cars speedometer via OBDII. Both are inherently inaccurate.

How much does .9 seconds cost?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I think Ford uses an open rear diff on the Expy. Maybe a limited slip , definitely not a posi. It doesn't make enough power to spin the wheels off a start. It's designed to tow. Launch control is for Mustang, Hellcat or Trackhawk, bud.

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol....i wouldnt worry about burnouts or traction issues. Not enough power and too much weight to do anything on dry pavement. Just do a boosted launch and enjoy what you have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360