Lazy man’s oil change…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacoduck

Reaction score
I have an eco boost and believe I’m changing the oil ever 5k miles. I use good synthetic, and have an oil extractor. I’m thinking I could let the oil filter go 10k miles and swap the oil every 5k miles. Oil is easy to swap, the oil filter, not so much. Thoughts?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an eco boost and believe I’m changing the oil ever 5k miles. I use good synthetic, and have an oil extractor. I’m thinking I could let the oil filter go 10k miles and swap the oil every 5k miles. Oil is easy to swap, the oil filter, not so much. Thoughts?
WTH would you do that?? Never ever screw with the oil change interval or the filter

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are only a couple filters I'd trust for 10k mile OCI - Royal Purple and possibly Fram Ultra.

I also don't have a problem running high quality full synthetic oils for 10k on an NA engine, but I don't expect to change anyone's mind on what they are comfortable with. On a turbocharged engine or one that sees extreme duty, I would not push it that far.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are lots of people that run Fram Ultras for 2 oil changes over 10k total miles. They also do this with other extended mileage rated filters. I don't do this because I use standard filters, but it's not unheard of and no you aren't going to destroy your engine. I probably wouldn't do it if you are a short trip driver though.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on info I read here and elsewhere, I had been taking my Expedition to a Jiffy Lube. I decided to do it myself one day. I was able to reach up to the oil filter from beneath the vehicle. It was not nearly as difficult as I expected. It seems like there is a plastic diverter of some sort beneath it...if you let it drain slowly it doesn't make a mess. If you haven't already, I suggest doing the filter change yourself at least once. It might not be as difficult as you think and you could probably include it in the 5K OCI. You may not need 5K OCI depending on your drive cycle. Blackstone said my oil was in very good condition with 7,500 OCI.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the filter that hard to get to? 2nd gen here and it takes longer to drain and fill the oil than to remove the filter and bolt from the pan. I don't even jack it up, I slide under and go to work. Entire process is 15min including cleanup. I do both vehicles at 5k intervals.

Big_O

Reaction score
I do my oil changes myself. Just did the first one last weekend and what a PIA compared to other vehicles. That being said oil and filter is cheap insurance against premature engine damage. In a normally aspirated engine I would skip the oil filter. On this turbo I would not recommend it.