Lazy man’s oil change…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenK

Reaction score
I change my oil & filter with synthetic every 5K to be on the safe side.

Am hoping that more frequent changes might prevent rattling cam phasers and turbo seal failures.
My thought is the oil probably doesn't break down that early but dirty oil is likely the culprit for those type of problems. So far so good but time will tell.

I also installed a catch-can which has about 3/4 inch of what appears to be oil thinned with gasoline in it at each oil change. Perhaps it is controversial if this is needed, but after seeing what comes out of it, I think it is good insurance against wear and drivability issues.

What else do you all do for regular/preventative maintenance?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change my oil & filter with synthetic every 5K to be on the safe side.

Am hoping that more frequent changes might prevent rattling cam phasers and turbo seal failures.
My thought is the oil probably doesn't break down that early but dirty oil is likely the culprit for those type of problems. So far so good but time will tell.

I also installed a catch-can which has about 3/4 inch of what appears to be oil thinned with gasoline in it at each oil change. Perhaps it is controversial if this is needed, but after seeing what comes out of it, I think it is good insurance against wear and drivability issues.

What else do you all do for regular/preventative maintenance?
My 4000 mile (3500 to 4500) oil and filter changes also include the following:
Rotate the tires in X pattern, Check tire pressure and reset TPS for new positions.
Look at rotors and remaining brake pad material when wheels are off.
Check and top off all other fluid levels.
Clean, tighten and coat battery terminals and cable connections.
Look over belt and hoses to see if all ok.
Check and lube suspension bushings if needed.
Check and lube power running board mechanisms.
Check front and rear wipers, replace if needed.
General look around underneath for leaking shocks, loose bolts, exhaust system issues, etc.
Document what was done in vehicle maintenance book.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an eco boost and believe I’m changing the oil ever 5k miles. I use good synthetic, and have an oil extractor. I’m thinking I could let the oil filter go 10k miles and swap the oil every 5k miles. Oil is easy to swap, the oil filter, not so much. Thoughts?

If you pump the oil out instead of using the drain plug you could be leaving more sludge in the bottom of the pan.

Why change more often and then do that?