leak at radiator transmission connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You did a good job with that repair. It's always a pain getting the parts here. I'm surprised those tranny lines are not worse. The ones on my 2000 rotted out by 2005. Don't forget that you can flare the end of a good part and replace a portion of them with hose if you get rotted sections.

dano

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm having trouble getting the so called "quick connects" unconnected. Broke one tool already (plastic). So, if need be, from the looks of this post, I can replace the quick connect fittings. Tell me this, anyone...Mine don't appear in as bad of shape as some of the photos ive seen here. They must pretty much just wrench out? Right?
My wife is going to just ....herself when I give her the repair cost on this job! ha ha.

dano

Reaction score
I just saw your post, Trainmaster about flaring the line, I was going to inquire about that. Seems to me, when I worked in a garage 30 years ago, we did that a few times for a quick repair. We use special rubber line, specifically for trans fluid. Don't recall ever having any complaints. I've got a flaring tool. I don't remember if trans lines require a double flare or not? Then, if they don't recommend rubber hose, would compression fittings work?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Not much pressure in there, which is why you can use hose. I've put a little flare on the end of the steel line just to keep the clamped hose from slipping off. I've used regular gas hose. Not sure what junk you get at the auto part stores today.

Compression fittings work fine if you want to use a steel or copper line.

dano

Reaction score
I think, what I'm going to do, since the lines are bad, going to cut them off near radiator, use the tool designed to remove the lines again and hopefully get somewhere with out having to replace the radiator. If I can accomplish that, move on to the brakes!
I started the process of removing the radiator. On my Expy, its really not a bad job, (just wished I'd started the job in the garage), so, if lines still will not come out of radiator, I can pull radiator, cut lines off close enough to get a socket on that fitting and remove it that way. Sounds like a lot of screwing around, but I aint got the cash to throw around, and I need to get something done.