Leaking Front passenger axle seal (and oil change tips)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went to change the oil for the second time yesterday. FYI, it worked really well to drive up on ramps in the front and a stack of 2 2x8's in the back (so the front is slightly higher). All the oil from the filter ran nicely out the back of the plastic drain tray.
I had put 6K miles on Kirkland full synthetic and was surprised by how black it was. It was through the winter so included at least 7 trips to the mountains.
Changed to Mobile 1, only because Costco was out of stock. I'll keep a close eye on it though since I used 4qts Kirkland and 2 Mobile. I know some people frown on mixing brands...

I noticed a small mount of oil on the front right axle - right near the end. I estimate it to be only about 1 Tbsp, based on how little was on the undercarriage tray. Rig has 44k miles.
Anyone else see some leaking here? I found one other person posting about it, but it was nearly new rig.
Should I bring it in ASAP and get a warranty fix, or just keep an eye on it.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Picture would be helpful. I would think its more likely the shock is leaking than the axle. Not sure where exactly you are seeing this though.

The oil runs through the turbos so it gets black fast it seems and needs to be changed often. I am more like 5k miles max on mine and I get the motocraft oil from walmart for it.

OP
OP
Janky

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I wiped off the oil from the axle, but you can tell where it's been wet. I would say there is nearly zero chance it's not the end of the axle seal. Picture of the dry shock as well.

Attachments

• 20220425_112811.jpg
    20220425_112811.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220425_112828.jpg
    20220425_112828.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 43

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does look a little wet but not really bad. You could have the dealer look at it just to document but it doesn't look too bad to me. I'm new to this Independent suspension stuff, not certain what is a lot or a little with them. I know the front axle on me jeeps leaks a little when I park off camber or over fill the diff.

OP
OP
Janky

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked and its still a little wet with oil. Also noticed some oil staining on the felt panel. Scheduled and appt with the dealer so it can get checked before ski season starts and we hit the mtns.

OP
OP
Janky

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer confirmed leaking front passenger axle seal. Warranty replacement in progress. 2018 w/ 49k miles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze