Leaking panoramic sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdoomis

Reaction score
Just bought a 2021 expedition platinum and took it through the carwash and water was squirting through the sunroof! When you go through it drips on the sides pretty steadily into the tracks and as we pass the sprayer, a good squirt of water comes through and lands on the seats every time! It squirts through the center where the sunroof is split. The gutter system doesn’t seem to have a problem draining. Brought it in to the dealership and they said this is normal which I was not happy about. I am worried about driving down the road on a rainy day and water spraying through. Has anyone had this problem? Is dealership blowing smoke up my a$$? This is our first vehicle with a panoramic sunroof. Not sure what’s normal

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Is the dealership bowing smoke up your a$$"? Hell, the dealership has carnal knowledge of you. No sunroof is supposed to leak if it is fully closed. Were the seats dry when you picked it up? The dealer had to have washed it, thus the seats would be wet at time of delivery. Take it to another dealer.

mta1111

Reaction score
Just came across your post jdoomis! This is exactly what my 2021 is doing! Did your dealership ever fix this? My dealership says they can’t find a leak but every time I go through a car wash, the tracks are full of water. So infuriating. Water should not come inside the vehicle. I’m afraid there will be a mold issue down the road if this isn’t fixed.

kjtully

Reaction score
Just came across your post jdoomis! This is exactly what my 2021 is doing! Did your dealership ever fix this? My dealership says they can’t find a leak but every time I go through a car wash, the tracks are full of water. So infuriating. Water should not come inside the vehicle. I’m afraid there will be a mold issue down the road if this isn’t fixed.
The sun/moon roof needs regular seal maintenance and lubrication to keep the seals supple. If they dry out they become hard and won't seal, resulting in leaks. There are a number of treads that talk about sunroof maintenance and the better/best lubricants to use. This youtube video for an F150 sunroof (same as the one on the Expy) does a good job of showing the lubricants and their application: F-150 sunroof seal maintenance

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your seals to make sure they are installed correctly. I bought a 2022 Timberline and was running some wires and noticed 2 door seals were not installed correctly. These seals had metal inside the rubber and one section (1-2") was folded under instead of on the door frame metal lip. I would suspect the moon roof seals are similar to other seals on the vehicle.
See if you can pull it off and inspect the back side make sure its a contiguous channel and not folded over.