LED Tail Light Dead Spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone run into this? If you look closely it looks like some portion of the actual lighted element (part of a strip maybe?) has fallen down in the housing.

The obvious answer is, of course: "take it to the dealer" but I am about 300 miles away from my bumper-to-bumper running out and I don't know that I can get into the dealer in time. (I do have the extended warranty, but that's an added hassle.) Perhaps it's a quick fix they can remedy next time I'm there for an oil change.

In any case, maybe one of you knowledgable and resourceful gentlemen (and ladies) has run into this before.

(I uploaded pics of both the affected light and the good one for reference)

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

Last edited:

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They will probably have to take a picture and send it off to Ford for approval to replace. They had to do that to my CHMSL which had obvious signs of water in the lense and burnt out LEDs. *shrug*

But if you are not close, maybe you can accelerate the process by taking a few good pics and sending it to the service advisor or manager there?

OP
OP
aggiegrad05

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They will probably have to take a picture and send it off to Ford for approval to replace. They had to do that to my CHMSL which had obvious signs of water in the lense and burnt out LEDs. *shrug*

But if you are not close, maybe you can accelerate the process by taking a few good pics and sending it to the service advisor or manager there?

YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!!

From the service advisor I really like:

“It does look like a dead spot as you described. Your tail lamp is LED so everything is internal and not serviceable. What I need, when you have time, is for you to swing by so I can create a repair order and take photos to submit to Ford. Anything lighting related requires prior approval with Ford, the process of taking photos will only take about 2 minutes. You'll be able to drive away in your own car and I'll submit the claim for you. If / when approves the replacement, I'll order the part and then let you know when it arrives so it can be a fairly quick process.”

Thanks for the thought @Gumby!!

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!!

From the service advisor I really like:

“It does look like a dead spot as you described. Your tail lamp is LED so everything is internal and not serviceable. What I need, when you have time, is for you to swing by so I can create a repair order and take photos to submit to Ford. Anything lighting related requires prior approval with Ford, the process of taking photos will only take about 2 minutes. You'll be able to drive away in your own car and I'll submit the claim for you. If / when approves the replacement, I'll order the part and then let you know when it arrives so it can be a fairly quick process.”

Thanks for the thought @Gumby!!
Sounds like you have a good service advisor / department there. That's worth it's weight in GOLD! Glad its working out for you.

Reese Ballou

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with my driver side taillight, and mine is a 2018 with 94k miles so well out of its warranty. Does anyone know of an alternative to paying Ford out the ass for a new assembly?