Lemon Check On A 2010?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil1919

Reaction score
Getting ready to buy a used 2010 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L (my first SUV) with about 166k miles on it. It idles a little rough and acceleration is a little slow. Nothing really bad, but just enough for concern. It's in great shape on the inside. And it's for under $8000.

Are there any things to check that could indicate a serious problem?

I'm thinking it just may need some basic love like new plugs, air filter, fuel filter, throttle cleaning, and maybe fuel injector cleaning. I hope...

Plati

Reaction score
Not trying to tell you what to do but if it was me I wouldn't buy a vehickel with known problems like that. That would be like placing a bet on Tigger to win The Masters.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bring an infrared thermometer and scan the exhaust at each cylinder to see if one (or more) shows a little cooler than the others. Could indicate a cylinder not firing properly.

Plugs, ignition coils, and filters would be certainties. At that mileage it'd be worth going through all the maintenance items (flush the transmission, brake lines, cooling system, etc.) and replacing wear items associated with those systems. Water pump, thermostat, transmission screen, etc.

My 2010 has 170k miles and lived a hard life before I bought it at 92k miles. As long as the engine oil has been kept fresh, these trucks respond well to some TLC.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without you or a shop doing a full diagnostic of your problems, your going into this deal blind. If the owner is selling it in this condition is a red flag to me. Why didn't he/she have it repaired before selling? I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles, and ones that had driveability issues we're more than a simple tune up. The rough idle and loss of power could be an internal motor problem. If your hell bent on buying this vehicle, I'd at least bargain a bit more on price.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why are you buying an SUV? For fun, to tow something, large family, etc.......?

Engines don't fix themselves, no matter how strong the wish-casting is.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a 2010 with 186K miles...I've had it since about 25K miles. It's critical to keep fresh oil in these things. If the oil has been regularly changed then you might just be looking at plugs, COPs, perhaps new VTC solenoids, flush all the other fluids, and it will purr like a kitten. If it's had a hard life without regular oil changes, I'd walk away from it because it may likely need the whole phaser/tensioner/timing chain/etc process, which isn't really worth it on a vehicle with that kind of mileage. Remove the oil filler cap and take a peek into the top end. If it's all gunky and dirty, I'd pass on it.

I personally think that 2010 was one of the best years made, and have no plans on getting rid of mine anytime soon. Since I'm a stickler for the maintenance and know it's history, I fully expect to get at least another 100K on this one. Hope that helps

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Does it have a check engine light? Yes? scan for the code. Get/borrow one and scan for pending codes. A dishonest seller will 'clear' the codes, to shut off the light. No. codes may be worn plugs. Is it hard to start? Find out what kind of maintenance the owner did. I know people that never open the hood. They trade or sell them. Do your homework. If you don't know the basics, walk away. 150k+ on a Ford is nickle and dime time. $8K sounds too high that mileage also.