Let's play... guess the repair bill total!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mr_dave

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally got it back yesterday and it runs and drives like new! No more noises and it's very smooth.

Here's what they did:
- replace all 24 roller followers / rocker arms
- while replacing those an exhaust valve tip broke and the valve dropped into the cylinder, so half the engine had to come apart to retrieve it
- while doing that, I had them replace both timing chain tensioners, which sure enough, had blown gaskets
- after they got it back together it was still making a slight ticking sound
- they then replaced the passenger side camshaft and 12 adjusters

The grand total was $5957! Which is better than I expected. The warranty took care of most of that and I had to pay the deductible and some fluids.

OP
OP
mr_dave

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is very distressing to hear, thankfully in your case an extended warranty has your back. Do you know any of the service history prior to your ownership? Also, do you know if the 2013 5.4's had the revised chain tensioners with better gaskets, and the roller followers with the smaller oil ports? Trying to figure out why this could happen at 45k miles, as I'm about to close the deal on a 2010 with 138,000 miles, with the timing components replaced, but to my knowledge not the roller followers or oil pump.
Yes there was only one previous owner and they had all maintenance done on schedule (as far as I could tell) at their dealership. That and the low mileage were the main reasons I bought this one.

I don't believe any of the 5.4L came from the factory with the revised tensioners or roller followers as mine was one of the last produced. I believe 2014 was the last year for them.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford just redesigned the factory 5.4 3-valve oil pump in 2020 I got one of the first new pumps when I did my timing job. The tensioners I believe were also around 2018 for the new white silicone gaskets. In 2014 the only updated part you got was the updated phasers and maybe roller rockers

scottc

Reaction score
Thank you mr_dave and JExpedition07. Looks like roller follower and oil pump are on the "to do" list. Then there's the decision to do the lash adjusters with the roller followers, which requires removal of the camshafts, I think...

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not too bad for what it is! My reman engine was ~$8500 out the door. The insurance company always wins somehow.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, had we known all the items that needed repair it probably would have made sense to just replace the whole engine.

I got the warranty from my credit union for just under $800 when I got my loan. I almost didn't get it but I'm glad they convinced me to!

The dealership still isn't finished, hoping it will be tomorrow which will be 2 weeks.
That sounds like mine, I got my extended bumper to bumper warranty through my credit lender its called the Triton Package and is a full bumper to bumper warranty with a $200 deductible per part without labor charges (I believe)

scottc

Reaction score
Ford just redesigned the factory 5.4 3-valve oil pump in 2020 I got one of the first new pumps when I did my timing job. The tensioners I believe were also around 2018 for the new white silicone gaskets. In 2014 the only updated part you got was the updated phasers and maybe roller rockers
Hi JExpedition07,
Do you recall the details around the redesigned Ford 5.4 pump? Volume, pressure, backing plate, gearing changes, etc.? I have bought a 2010 Exp. with a timing component job done 25,000km ago, but unfortunately no oil pump or roller follower replacement, and I'm trying to determine what to do next ? thank you

Herby

Reaction score
I'll play! $9,000.
I would strongly suggest for anyone who is looking to purchase a 3rd gen Expy to just bite the bullet and change the cam phasers, timing chain, tensioners, guides and water pump. It will give you piece of mind. As soon as I heard the "Death Rattle" during cold engine start, I did the work. Purchased the truck at 170,000 miles and heard the noise at 180,000 miles. If you are planning to have the truck for a long time, you wont be sorry!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you mr_dave and JExpedition07. Looks like roller follower and oil pump are on the "to do" list. Then there's the decision to do the lash adjusters with the roller followers, which requires removal of the camshafts, I think...
All I saw were no more blind holes, and the whole casting changed around. The backing plate is the same - aluminum. As is design. From my understanding the biggest problem with the stock pump isn’t the pump itself—it’s generally the clogged pickup tube full of plastic that starves it of oil and it starts scarring the gear.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like mine, I got my extended bumper to bumper warranty through my credit lender its called the Triton Package and is a full bumper to bumper warranty with a $200 deductible per part without labor charges (I believe)

Per part?

Did you miss the 24 roller whatevers detail?