Lift gate strut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas D

Reaction score
Liftgate is about 6 inches lower than normal. At 6’ that’s a real pain
How hard is it to change struts?
Are struts themselves expensive?
At 75 yr old everything I touch seems to turn to crap anymore so it has to be easy for me to do it.
Thanks.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Liftgate is about 6 inches lower than normal. At 6’ that’s a real pain
How hard is it to change struts?
Are struts themselves expensive?
At 75 yr old everything I touch seems to turn to crap anymore so it has to be easy for me to do it.
Thanks.

Extremely easy to change - with a helper.

The Motorcraft struts are left and right specific (not the same strut as sold in some aftermarket places).

Each strut, top and bottom, has a clip that is pried out and then the strut pops off the stud with a slight bump of the palm of your hand.

Have a helper (on a short stool) hold the hatch up while you change each side.

I have the part numbers recorded and will post them if you ask for them. OE was not expensive.

EDIT:

Motorcraft:
Right: 7L1Z78406A10B (passenger side)
Left: 7L1Z78406A11B (driver side)

SECOND EDIT:

These part numbers are for the 2015 - 2017 Expedition.

Last edited:

2011EL

Reaction score
I swapped them out on my 2011 2 weeks ago. Not terribly difficult at all. But, it would've been nice to have a helper as suggested above. I was an idiot and did it myself (as usual) and the liftgate actually dropped on my head at one point. Thankfully it was a glancing blow and I was fine. Moral to the story, don't do it by yourself. And, make sure the liftgate is properly supported (I used a pole).

Good luck!

Jst ROM

Reaction score
To OP:

I have a 2008 Ford Expy Limited and basically, all our rear window gas struts are the same from 2007-2017. Two weeks ago I replaced mine, simple procedure all you need is small flat head screw driver and a broomstick without the bristles.

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Lift the glass up, lodge the broomstick under your lower handle to support the rear glass up. Once you take off the 1st strut the other strut won’t be able to sustain the weight that’s why you have the broomstick for support.
  • Wipe dirt off on each strut, struts get dirty as it’s an outside object.
  • Start on bottom of strut then move to top, top and bottom there is a clip that connects to a ball. Take screw driver and wiggle under the clips and pop them up, you won’t need the clips replacements already have.
  • Replace one by one do not remove both at same time.
  • New struts, pop clips up first before install.
  • When installing snap-in top clip then bottom. You don’t want to pull up to wiggle the strut in you might shatter the glass. Wiggle and pull down the strut in because, the struts are not compressed.

Don't buy from a dealership you are paying for each, I paid left and right strut for $21.34 on Amazon.

Amazon Item:
Stetig 2Pcs 18.31 Inch Rear Back Window glass Struts Lift Supports Compatible With 07-17 Expedition - 07-17 Navigator Sport Utility - Shock Gas Spring Prop Rod
Price: $21.34

For a visual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-8Hwn9Jefo

It’s a very simple installation, good luck.