Lift gate won’t latch all the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

splonsgto

Reaction score
Hey all, got a 2018 expedition max limited..

My lift gate works normal in every way except that when it closes it won’t close all the way. I end up with a “lift gate ajar” warning on the dash. I have to go push on the lift gate around the striker area to actually get it to latch.

When I use the button to close the lift gate it closes and there is the sound of an electric motor running but nothing is happening…I assume this motor is supposed to be pulling the door into the fully latched position. I haven loosened the bolts on the striker to try to adjust it but there is very little movement for adjustment.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Judah144

Reaction score
This may be because it is too cold. Was your expedition cold or warmed up? Just tonight when my expedition was cold, my rear passenger door would not latch. I warmed up the truck and went back to the door and it was latching. I had the same issue with my 2016 F-150 until I had a recall done one it.

OP
OP
S

splonsgto

Reaction score
It does it warm and cold. Now…it has been very cold outside lately…maybe when the weather warms up today it will start working? We will see but I’m not holding my breath.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of my doors have issues latching including my tailgate only when its super cold out. 10 degrees. Ford...

OP
OP
S

splonsgto

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer today and they replaced the latch on the lift gate. Not sure how much it was since it was under warranty but it works fine now!