Lift gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you pressing the open button twice in quick succession? If you press the button once, it won’t do anything, you have to press it twice quickly for the tail gate to open. It’s a safety feature.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there an antenna of some sort on the lift motor itself for the remote signal? I’d pull rear side panel and take a peek to see what’s up maybe it’s obstructed somehow. I would change the remote battery first just to rule that out regardless of age. I do have a question about the remote working the glass door... does it raise and close on its own and with the remote? Or does it just pop unlocked and you pull it from there? Just curious because my 17 XLT doesn’t have a remote option for the glass. I would think just popping unlocked could result in driving around with the glass unlatched. I guess the dash warning screen would warn you and chime.
I have a 2017 XLT and my fob has a button to unlatch just the glass but you have to push it twice. That button has a symbol that looks like a car trunk with 2x.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 XLT and my fob has a button to unlatch just the glass but you have to push it twice. That button has a symbol that looks like a car trunk with 2x.
That’s the button that opens the whole gate electrically on mine. The electric gate wasn’t standard on XLT’s but was part of a option package on mine. That’s interesting though it looks like I lost the window open option for the power gate option.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s the button that opens the whole gate electrically on mine. The electric gate wasn’t standard on XLT’s but was part of a option package on mine. That’s interesting though it looks like I lost the window open option for the power gate option.
Mine does both and the gate button looks almost the same but the window button has a smaller ^ looking angled line on it. You aren't missing much, I never use my window release button on the FOB.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd recommend popping your remote open and see if the little "prong" that makes contact between the LIFTGATE rubber button and the circuit board is effective. image below should give an idea.

ghxmspl24qy6005.jpg

If you frequently hit the panic button by accident, use an exacto knife to slightly shave the corresponding nub on the backside. Now panic will require a little more direct effort.

They do make replacement rubber if the remote itself is good. Noticed they've replaced the liftgate icon with the words LIFT GATE and the icon that shows just the glass with the words REAR GLASS.

cuZsX9BcFnyKe8-BHwh8kMqYjN41V8wMteUi-R9Sc&usqp=CAU.jpg
is now...

6626.jpg

If the nub that makes contact between button and circuit board is good, replace the fob.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was this solved? I’m having similar trouble but also the outside hatch power button rarely works along with lift gate buttons on two brand new remotes non functional. All other remote buttons work and both interior lift gate buttons work. I just can’t open it from outside the vehicle.