Lifted Expeditions of EF.com (picture post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Missed you too man.

Remember it's Canada so long as I don't die or need a ambulance it's free!

I fell down a rabbit hole of the article I posted and this guys youtube videos.

That and there is 240 and a welder where I'm moving, I think I'm going to be busy.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Issue is the 8.8 carrier is one of tne weakest out there for tolerating abuse, so I'd need a stronger carrier at least, then hit up rcv for outters and inners, then truss the axle...

At that point should I have gotten a D44? Lol

Truss the front? Or truss the rear? I've never seen a trussed IFS axle center before. If you have an 8.8 in the rear, I'd look into getting the 9.75 that was also offered in Expeditions. That axle is pretty stout.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought about a 9.75, but if I'm swapping axles I'm going to swap in a 10.5.

As it stands artec makes a 8.8 truss that can beef up the 8.8 pretty cheaply, and eliminates it's biggest weakness as well.

As for the front axle, I have a few ideas but until it's out on the floor when I do the lift it's all speculation. Mostly just beef up the stress areas. Might work, might not.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear. I see. I always thought an 8.8 in the rear was too small for these trucks. I have an 8.8 in my Explorer. That is plenty of axle for that thing (and the Jeeps that love to swap out their Dana 35s for an 8.8) but for an Expedition........

I don't have anything special done to my 8.8 other than the axle tubes are welded to the pumpkin. The front axle (Dana 30 from an XJ) is trussed.

My Expedition has the 9.75. I'm only running 33s. I might regear it and put in a Truetrac, but it'll stay pretty mild. My Explorer is for getting crazy offroad.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah it's a great axle, and tossing the truss on will do nothing but raise sell price when I get around to swapping in something beefier, as you said the smaller rig guys love them. Though dragging around the trailer this weekend, gearing is soon going to be an issue. 3.73's are great for cruising, not for working hard when turning 37's.

That's the difference for now, the Expedition is the DD, but it'll become the one designed for being crazy off-road over then next couple years.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And this was not the weekend to cross over the border.

That being said the guy was happy to sell it, he rolled his truck two separate times and it was taking up space.

IMG_20180526_144533_3.jpg

To be neglected for weeks.

IMG_20180526_155602_0.jpg

Last edited: