Liftgate / Hatch Elec Button Inoperable (non-power)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobgriner

Reaction score
I'm still in the fact-finding phase here. I have a 2008 XLT that has a button for the liftgate / hatch, but not a "power liftgate." The button for the liftgate / hatch glass works perfectly.

FACTS : The entire rear hatch locking actuators (window and liftgate / hatch) have a healthy 20amp fuse (17 at passenger footwell). The button worked intermittently for a while, then just stopped completely. This was an SSV (special service vehicle) that a local municipality used for emergency management or something. It had multiple extra lights on the liftgate / hatch, front and rear quarter panels, I believe some type of mounted light below the upper liftgate / hatch brake light. I discovered a wiring connector tucked up in the upper metal part of the upper liftgate / hatch. I couldn't find the female mate to this connector and assume it was on the non-OEM mounted light. There was definitely some “creative wiring” that went on a non-professional level by the municipality.

ACTUATOR : I pulled the actuator and did a quick test with jumpers from a rechargeable battery. The actuator is connected by (4) wires (yellow & white paired and red & black paired). The wire Paris attach in two completely different parts of the actuator. The red & black pair fired up the actuator and it clicked to unlock/open. The yellow & white pair was unresponsive. I'm not sure I understand why there are (4) wires there. I guess the tripping of the yellow & white pair locks the actuator in the closed position (since it's already latched when the liftgate / hatch is pushed closed). Nothing I did with the yellow & white pair caused a click or anything.

BUTTON : It appears that the exterior rubber button on the back side of the handle has (2) wires (brown & black/white. My assumption is that the result of depressing the button closes the circuit and trips the open/unlock part of the actuator. I stripped a little insulation off the (2) brown & black/white wires that go to the button, and tried to jump them to see if I got a response from the actuator >> nothing.

CONNECTOR 1 : The (4-wire) connector that feeds the actuator has red & black paired; yellow & white paired going toward the actuator, and the opposite side of the connector was orange/white, black/blue, black/white and green/white. I stripped insulation on each of these and tried to see if I could get my tester light to signal by alternatively mating up each wire. I got no light from any combination.

CONNECTOR 2 : The 2-wire connection from the rubber button on the does [not] come from the 4-wire connection and is feed further back up the wiring chain somewhere. I’m wondering if there is a relay somewhere in the back storage area behind the large plastic covers.

My current thought is that it’s a relay or somewhere further back up the wiring chain is a cut wire or loose/broken ground.

Anyone had this situation, or one close >> OR other things to test?

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4347.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4352.JPG

Pastot

Reaction score
I have an 07 EL with similar issue, window release button works but hatch lock solenoid has no signal on its two wires wires that feed the solenoid red and black wires (I used 12v DC and tested motor it's just fine). With a meter on the two eyes that feed it (the black and green wires) I get a strange consistent 5 volts but no 12v trigger for the motor. Gate window and all door locks work fine, fuses are ALL good. Issue happened after the battery was drained sitting in airport long term. After jumping the truck everything worked except the gate latch lock. I'm trying to chase the black and green wires forward and has to stop. I can manually unlock the gate for now with hidden lever on the latch assembly.