Light Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmiller

Reaction score
I was looking through photos a couple weeks ago and found someone who had put what I think was small led light bars on the front of the expedition that were being controlled by their high beams. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and could point me in the right direction. I've seen the thread with the 30" light bar in the grill but thats not the one I'm looking for.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can, but if you use the lower grill openings, then you block airflow to the intercooler and feed the engine warmer air making less power.

I put the 30" light bar thread together......

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Accessory lighting has to be on a separate switch. DOT regulations says no accessory lighting can be on with high beams. Thats why factory lower floods turn off when you hit highbeams.

As Deadman says be very careful what you put on the front grill region the airflow on modern vehicles is highly dependent on the stock grill and bumper shape.

lam396

Reaction score
You can, but if you use the lower grill openings, then you block airflow to the intercooler and feed the engine warmer air making less power.

Read your thread and have 1 question. Do you think a dual row bar would fit or is the space to narrow?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read your thread and have 1 question. Do you think a dual row bar would fit or is the space to narrow?

This is a case of ‘measure it’. There are many types of bar-type LEDs, different sizes, and so on.

OP
OP
J

jmiller

Reaction score

Ya I was told that about using a big light bar in their by local shop. That's why I was thing an 8 inch bar on each side to keep it as open as possible. I know its technically illegal to have them hooked to high beams but how did u do it? I live in Idaho and if I'm using my high beams at all it's in the middle of nowhere.

lam396

Reaction score
This is a case of ‘measure it’. There are many types of bar-type LEDs, different sizes, and so on.
Normally, yes. Im travelling for work and won't be able to measure it for a few weeks and wanted to get one ordered so I thought I'd ask people that may have an idea... all the bars im seeing are roughly the same dimensions vertically. I was wanting one with amber drl's but im really only seeing that option on dual rows.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

A dual row won't be able to shine thru the cut in the bumper cover. Theres not a lot of height for it to shine thru. My biggest challenge was getting my single row light bar centered in that opening, so the light could shine onto the road instead of on the inside of the bumper cover. If you just want looks, so it might work, but function wise I wouldn't do a double layer bar myself...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya I was told that about using a big light bar in their by local shop. That's why I was thing an 8 inch bar on each side to keep it as open as possible. I know its technically illegal to have them hooked to high beams but how did u do it? I live in Idaho and if I'm using my high beams at all it's in the middle of nowhere.

Get a wiring diagram and pull the signal wire off of the hi beam power light wire. Signal wire draws little to no power, but the power wire needs to go to the battery to pull the heavy load of current. I wired in a separate relay so the power comes off the battery and the signal comes from a switched fuse in the accessory fuse block, so I can run my lights anytime the cars on.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman's 30" light bar sits further back behind the bumper than mine does, and mine is almost flush to the opening. There is ZERO extra room to let light through with a dual row light bar, because the opening is just big enough for the single row light bar...