Lightning Supercharger Swap in an '04 Expy write-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have a 2000 ford expedition 4x4. I am installing a suppercharger on it the motor have in the truck now is a 4.6 . The truck is a 2001 that I bot has a 5.4 I bot the hole truck it is a 4x4 I need help to in stall the supercharger from a to z . On how to hook up the emision hoses on th suppercharer please help

Just trying to clarify...

I take it you purchased a "donor" lightning to swap the motor into your 2000 ford expedition 4wd. You would like to have photos of the vacuum line routing?? If so it was written up pretty well on the first page of this thread. This is if you use the stock expy wiring harness and ecu which would be the case if your keeping the 4wd and stock tranny. I copied and pasted it here:

Intake, midplate, and SC install complete:

With the intake, midplate, and SC now installed, we moved onto the IC lines and vacuum harness. The IC lines consist of two black steel tubes that bolt to the passenger side of the SC and connect to the IC with 5/8” heater hose elbows. The other ends of the black steel IC lines were hooked up later.

Let’s take a moment and discuss the vacuum harness. The Lightning uses a boost by-pass solenoid and a barometric sensor. Because we used our original Expi wiring harness and computer, we did not need either of these connections. These two devices along with the EGR solenoid and DPFE sensor are mounted on a black bracket that attaches to the driver side of the SC. We basically cut the bracket in half so that all we had on it were the EGR solenoid and DPFE sensor.

Why does this matter with regard to vacuum, well…without the by-pass solenoid or barometric sensor, the stock Lightning vacuum harness could be trimmed down. We removed all the lines that would connect to the boost by-pass solenoid and the barometric pressure sensor. If you look at the harness with relation to the sensor positions, it should be fairly obvious which ones to cut out. When I do the SC install in my truck, I will get pics of those deleted lines and update this post.

On the driver side harness, there is a black vacuum connection with a red and black line coming out of it. The ********* end connects to the nipple on the midplate (located about halfway between the front and rear of the assembly on the driver’s side). The red plastic line connects to the fuel pressure regulator. On the black line, we added a T-fitting…one end connects to a boost/vac gauge and the other end connects to the top nipple on the boost by-pass motor (black vacuum motor at the upper driver corner of the SC. This motor remains in the open position during non-boost moments (idle, cruising, etc) and the closes during hard acceleration (under boost). Its purpose is to release boost back into the plenum when it isn’t needed. We will address the passenger side vacuum lines once the plenum is bolted on. The bottom nipple on the by-pass motor remains open/disconnected.

At this point we attached the plenum, throttle body, and throttle cable/cruise control cable bracket. Back to the vacuum lines from earlier, there is another ********* vacuum connection that wraps around the back of the SC assembly toward the passenger side and attaches to the plenum forward of the IAC motor.

The final vacuum connection was a black plastic line that ran towards the passenger fender. This is the main feed for the Expi’s vacuum system. We just plugged it into the rubber hose that our original Expi vacuum harness plugged into.

I can supply photos but not sure it would help unless you knew where the other end of the vacuum lines were going. They pretty much fall into place with the exception of the bypass solenoid and barametric sensor. These are eliminated on the expy because there is no provisions for them with the stock ecu.

Last edited:
OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad news for us, good news for someone

Here it is folks...the time has come for Cass and I to part with our Expedition. With both of us driving 60 miles round trip to and from work, the Expi just isn't practical for us. That is bad for us but great for one of you.

After punching everything in to NADA, the "clean retail" came back as $11,700. We have it listed for $11,500. Some might think that is a bit high for a 2004 with 106,000 miles. However, in the Tampa area, you can pick up a 2004 EB Expi for around $9,000. If you add the 2-tone Roadwire leather ($1100), brand new 33" Firestone Destination AT tires ($888), 20" matte black rims ($700), heavy duty transmission from Monster Transmission ($1800) and the supercharger ($3500+), you are well over $16,000.

Below are some pics. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 663
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 385
  • 1 (4).jpg
    1 (4).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 512
  • 1 (5).jpg
    1 (5).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
OP
OP
boiler71

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More Pics

Attachments

• 1 (6).jpg
    1 (6).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 223
  • 1 (7).jpg
    1 (7).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 823
  • 1 (8).jpg
    1 (8).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 787
  • 1 (9).jpg
    1 (9).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 694

signdoctor

Reaction score
Boost By-Pass

Did you keep the boost by-pass on? My wire harness does not have connections for the boost by-pass solenoid or barometric sensor, so I am just wondering if I can just leave it and the vacume hooked up or if I need to delete it all together?

Working on:
1997 Ford Expedition EB 4X4
w/ a 2003 F-150 Lightning SC 5.4
Bored .030
Polished Crank
Manley Rods
J&E Pistons
Port & Polish
Kooks LT Headers
High Flow Cats

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Did you keep the boost by-pass on? My wire harness does not have connections for the boost by-pass solenoid or barometric sensor, so I am just wondering if I can just leave it and the vacume hooked up or if I need to delete it all together?

Working on:
1997 Ford Expedition EB 4X4
w/ a 2003 F-150 Lightning SC 5.4
Bored .030
Polished Crank
Manley Rods
J&E Pistons
Port & Polish
Kooks LT Headers
High Flow Cats

He removed his since its not being used with the stock expy pcm. I did as well but didn't bother cutting the bracket.

Post #3 in this thread is where he mentions it. 2nd paragraph:
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f44/lightning-supercharger-swap-04-expy-write-up-10750/#post57958

Last edited:

98RedExp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My question is, if I were to obtain an entire 5.4 Lightning Engine and ECU, would it be a direct swap into a 1998 Expy with a 5.4 already in it?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
My question is, if I were to obtain an entire 5.4 Lightning Engine and ECU, would it be a direct swap into a 1998 Expy with a 5.4 already in it?

If you have 2wd I believe it can be done but it would be more ideal if you had the lightning transmission as well.

There may be minor differences a custom tune could account for. You will have to change the fuel pump, install heat exchanger, etc.....

If you have 4wd you need to use your existing pcm with custom tune. The lightning pcm does not have provisions for the transfer case and A4wd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360