Limping 3.5 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paddler1000

Reaction score
Here's an odd problem , wonder if anyone has heard of this happening. Truck(2019) has about 35,000 miles on it and generally runs really well. On 2 seperate occasions, both I believe during warm weather months, after running on the thruway for a couple of hours and getting off onto local roads the service light comes on and the truck starts to bog down, almost feels like its skipping thru some of the mid gears. Accelerate REALLY slowly and once up to cruise speed it'll hold it with almost no acceleration punch. It was so bad I stopped at a local Ford dealer to inquire but was told I had to come back the next day. Limped to my destination and shut her down. Next day, intending to return, and the engine had cooled down overnight, the problem was gone and didn't re-appear till several thousand miles later under similar conditions, again with the service light. Now I'm being told, when it was in for service that it no longer shows on the computer since it was more than 3 months ago and there's nothing they can do? Any ideas what's going on here. Thanks

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's an odd problem , wonder if anyone has heard of this happening. Truck(2019) has about 35,000 miles on it and generally runs really well. On 2 seperate occasions, both I believe during warm weather months, after running on the thruway for a couple of hours and getting off onto local roads the service light comes on and the truck starts to bog down, almost feels like its skipping thru some of the mid gears. Accelerate REALLY slowly and once up to cruise speed it'll hold it with almost no acceleration punch. It was so bad I stopped at a local Ford dealer to inquire but was told I had to come back the next day. Limped to my destination and shut her down. Next day, intending to return, and the engine had cooled down overnight, the problem was gone and didn't re-appear till several thousand miles later under similar conditions, again with the service light. Now I'm being told, when it was in for service that it no longer shows on the computer since it was more than 3 months ago and there's nothing they can do? Any ideas what's going on here. Thanks
Has it done it since that one time? Or was it only once?

Was the tank near E? Had you filled up at a Station you had not used before, or lower tier?

If it does happen again, go to an auto parts store and have them scan it. Post the codes here.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
When the throttle position sensor causes the wrench light to come on the vehicle will barely move and shake. If it goes away after cycling the key then that is probably it.

OP
OP
P

paddler1000

Reaction score
I found what I originally got from the mechanic before it cleared. It said: "P 0237 Turbo/SuperCharger Boost sensor A circuit low" Then he hand wrote on the paper to check "MAP and TBBP sensor" when I came back. Now since memory cleared they won't work on it.

OP
OP
P

paddler1000

Reaction score
Just checked my Fordpass app as per suggestion(thanks Oklahoma Jim) and it says " The system has detected an electrical fault with the turbocharger/supercharger pressure sensor and it's associated wiring. The control system invokes a symptom of limited power"
That, BTW, was the exact symptom, limited power. At the same time I got a message of "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced power. Went away after cool down and only happened twice.

remdog9

Reaction score
Following this thread, thanks! I just had the wrench pop up with the stuttering driving with no power on my 2015 with 135,000 miles. We did a 350 mile trip yesterday and everything was great. Started it this morning and the wrench popped up first thing and had to bring it home. I disconnected the battery and it cleared after hooking back up, drove around 10 miles and everything was fine. A few hours later, I drove it 15 miles and after an hour I headed home. About halfway home, the wrench popped up again. This time it cleared just by turning it off for a minute. I'm planning on changing the TPS once I can get one. On a side note, before all this happened yesterday, I did run the gas pretty close to empty, only 10 miles to empty according to the gage and I did use a new gas station but it was a BP and I put in 89 octane. I don't think this has anything to do with anything but someone mentioned low gas earlier in the thread. Also, do you guys have a good code reader that you would recommend? Thanks!