List of expensive repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone gone through FloodFordESP?

I used FloodFord. Got 8 years, 75k miles, with key replacement for just under $1700. I've done so much skiing this season, I'm really glad I did. Bought it with 32,500mi in Nov, sitting at 35,700 now!

OP
OP
A

Aps630

Reaction score
2018 Expy Platinum.

• Rear Main Seal (huge job done @ 89,000 kms)
  • Coolant lines to transmission done twice (@ 117,000kms)
  • Mirror pop issue (SSM fixed it) (@ 89,000 kms)
  • Rear pinion Seal done twice (once @111,000 kms and again @ 117,000 kms)
  • 2 Rear CCD shocks leaking replaced(@ 117,000 kms)
  • Cam Phasers (2 ea) done (@ 99,000 kms)
  • Drivers side door Air bag sensor replaced (kept getting Air Bag warning light) (@120,000 kms)
  • Rear Passenger defrost wire snapped off, replaced entire rear glass (@ 117,000 kms)
  • Rear brakes done @ 117,000 kms (wear item)
  • Water Pump replacement (@ 111,000 kms)
  • Rear brakes locked to wheels, could not drive. Replaced brake actuator, did not resolve, currently at dealer replacing ABS module. (@ 122,000 kms)
thanks for this detail. Except for cam phasers I probably wouldn’t be too unhappy with these repairs at that mileage. The vehicle is great and it would be the price to pay I guess. I knew going in that this isn’t a Toyota and that is ok since it is such a great vehicle to drive.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for this detail. Except for cam phasers I probably wouldn’t be too unhappy with these repairs at that mileage. The vehicle is great and it would be the price to pay I guess. I knew going in that this isn’t a Toyota and that is ok since it is such a great vehicle to drive.
This is why I got the extended warranty. I hear ya, but given that this is my primary driver, even though much of this would be covered, its the time and effort you have to waste to get this stuff taken care of. I sincerely hope that much stuff doesn't go wrong with mine. Some things wear (like brakes) and I get that, but a water pump at 68k miles, that's pretty ******. Many of those items at 60-75k miles. Coolant lines? The real trouble also is that some of those things make the vehicle inoperable, or worse, dangerous while driving. Scares me to be in the middle of nowhere on a family trip, and have some of those kinds of things go out.

OP
OP
A

Aps630

Reaction score
This is why I got the extended warranty. I hear ya, but given that this is my primary driver, even though much of this would be covered, its the time and effort you have to waste to get this stuff taken care of. I sincerely hope that much stuff doesn't go wrong with mine. Some things wear (like brakes) and I get that, but a water pump at 68k miles, that's pretty ******. Many of those items at 60-75k miles. Coolant lines? The real trouble also is that some of those things make the vehicle inoperable, or worse, dangerous while driving. Scares me to be in the middle of nowhere on a family trip, and have some of those kinds of things go out.

Good points for sure. But there is no better alternative IMO. For this size and class of vehicle, this kind of power and torque, fuel economy etc the answer still came back as Expedition. I guess I need to consider the extended warranty.

Rossue

Reaction score
Still on the fence; 24K and a lift gate button is the only item(knock on wood) in 18 months. The way I look at it is this XLT has more of what I want than LTD Sequoia. I wouldn't go GM only because to get other than a 5.3 you gotta spend a lot- again for items I don't need or want.

We tow a 4K wet TT 75% of the time and it is the cat's meow with the HD tow. If I keep the car will probably contact Flood and do it. Just feels strange as have never thought to buy ESP before, yet one of the things that held me back buying an EB - turbos- ia probably the least likely thing to incurr major repairs before 100K it seems.

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2019 (July build) & 28K miles on the clock plus another 5K miles behind a motorhome. Issues I have had other than routine maintenance are:
- The unpredictable lift gate opening issue; TSB/warranty
- Replaced 1 tire (Toyo) due to nail near sidewall; ~$225
- weird swooshing noise (sounds like fluid through a hose under the driver’s dash), very intermittent & dealer cannot replicate yet; s/b warranty.
- loss of coolant, die added, currently chasing this one down. S/b warranty when figured out. Could be related to the prior issue.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would be most definitely be unhappy with the rear brakes locked. I was furious and thankfully I had just returned from an 8 hr drive in the mountains. Imagine….

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good points for sure. But there is no better alternative IMO. For this size and class of vehicle, this kind of power and torque, fuel economy etc the answer still came back as Expedition. I guess I need to consider the extended warranty.
So much truth here. I've said it time and time again to people who bust my chops for having a twin turbo v6, I'd rather repair a turbo at 90k miles and have the power/fuel economy associated with the EB than go back to a "reliable" V8. I put reliable in quotes because even so many of these fuel management systems on V8s now are failing (look at GM DOD).

Perhaps I'd be singing a different tune if my vehicle had been in for warranty repair work once every 3-6 months since purchasing new, but this is without a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned (out of about 30 or so LOL).

Mine is going to the dealer in a week for:
Door panel defect (a little dimple where I rest my elbow, may or may not do anything with it).
Front center speaker under the windshield appears to be blown out.
A bolt fell out of my passenger side retractable step and I have no clue where it goes LOL.
Rear passenger window express up stopped 3/4 of the way up and went back down (only happened twice in 18 months).
MAJOR ticking when cold start for 60-90 seconds then goes away, does not do at operating temp.

Purchase date of July 2019 with 27k miles.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would be most definitely be unhappy with the rear brakes locked. I was furious and thankfully I had just returned from an 8 hr drive in the mountains. Imagine….
The thought of this happening with a 2 ton load behind me is absolutely terrifying........

OP
OP
A

Aps630

Reaction score
Still on the fence; 24K and a lift gate button is the only item(knock on wood) in 18 months. The way I look at it is this XLT has more of what I want than LTD Sequoia. I wouldn't go GM only because to get other than a 5.3 you gotta spend a lot- again for items I don't need or want.

We tow a 4K wet TT 75% of the time and it is the cat's meow with the HD tow. If I keep the car will probably contact Flood and do it. Just feels strange as have never thought to buy ESP before, yet one of the things that held me back buying an EB - turbos- ia probably the least likely thing to incurr major repairs before 100K it seems.

For ESP the pricing from Flood is well worth it. In Canada the prices are more than 100 percent higher.