Longest-lasting vehicles: SUVs are way ahead - Expedition Unstoppable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
98eddie.jpg
They did not have to tell me this. I already suspected it!

If you’re looking for a reliable vehicle for the long haul, a big, sturdy SUV is hard to beat.

Full-sized utilities account for half of the 14 longest-lasting cars – those most likely to pass 200,000 miles – according to auto research site iSeeCars.com.

Analysis of 13.8 million car sales in 2018 revealed the Toyota Sequoia to be the longest-lasting vehicle of all, joined by six others in its class from Chevrolet, GMC, Ford and Lincoln.

Longest-lasting vehicles

1. Toyota Sequoia, 7.4 percent
  2. Chevrolet Suburban, 5.0 percent
  3. Ford Expedition, 5.0 percent
  4. GMC Yukon XL, 4.0 percent
  5. Toyota 4Runner, 3.9 percent
  6. Chevrolet Tahoe, 3.8 percent
  7. Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 3.1 percent
  8. Honda Ridgeline, 3.0 percent
  9. GMC Yukon, 2.8 percent
  10. Toyota Tacoma, 2.6 percent
  11. Toyota Tundra, 2.6 percent
  12. Toyota Avalon, 2.5 percent
  13. Honda Odyssey, 2.5 percent
  14. Lincoln Navigator, 2.2 percent
All-model average: 0.8 percent

Expedition #1 here!

Some vehicles appear almost unstoppable, with a small percentage going on to pass a clock-spinning 300,000 miles. Check out these all-stars.

Vehicles that reach 300K
  1. Ford Expedition, 0.2
  2. Toyota 4Runner, 0.2
  3. Toyota Sequoia, 0.2
  4. Chevrolet Suburban, 0.2
  5. Toyota Tacoma, 0.2
  6. Toyota Tundra, 0.2
All-model average: 0.1

OP
OP
zfifty

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talking about Longevity. Just saw this one listed on Craig's list locally, as clean, runs excellent, with 433,933 miles for $2500. Wow! I am assuming highway.

01717_jUkiIwzKpml_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 36403
They did not have to tell me this. I already suspected it!

If you’re looking for a reliable vehicle for the long haul, a big, sturdy SUV is hard to beat.

Full-sized utilities account for half of the 14 longest-lasting cars – those most likely to pass 200,000 miles – according to auto research site iSeeCars.com.

Analysis of 13.8 million car sales in 2018 revealed the Toyota Sequoia to be the longest-lasting vehicle of all, joined by six others in its class from Chevrolet, GMC, Ford and Lincoln.

Longest-lasting vehicles

1. Toyota Sequoia, 7.4 percent
  2. Chevrolet Suburban, 5.0 percent
  3. Ford Expedition, 5.0 percent
  4. GMC Yukon XL, 4.0 percent
  5. Toyota 4Runner, 3.9 percent
  6. Chevrolet Tahoe, 3.8 percent
  7. Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 3.1 percent
  8. Honda Ridgeline, 3.0 percent
  9. GMC Yukon, 2.8 percent
  10. Toyota Tacoma, 2.6 percent
  11. Toyota Tundra, 2.6 percent
  12. Toyota Avalon, 2.5 percent
  13. Honda Odyssey, 2.5 percent
  14. Lincoln Navigator, 2.2 percent
All-model average: 0.8 percent

Expedition #1 here!

Some vehicles appear almost unstoppable, with a small percentage going on to pass a clock-spinning 300,000 miles. Check out these all-stars.

Vehicles that reach 300K
  1. Ford Expedition, 0.2
  2. Toyota 4Runner, 0.2
  3. Toyota Sequoia, 0.2
  4. Chevrolet Suburban, 0.2
  5. Toyota Tacoma, 0.2
  6. Toyota Tundra, 0.2
All-model average: 0.1

How could a Lincoln Navigator be 50% of an expy? Or a yukon 50% of a Tahoe?

Doesn’t pass the smell test.

OP
OP
zfifty

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How could a Lincoln Navigator be 50% of an expy? Or a yukon 50% of a Tahoe?

Doesn’t pass the smell test.

I don't know for sure. Just thought it was interesting that both of them were listed. They do not say how they acquire their data and what parameters they use. They can skew any study to fit their objectives. Just look at political news polls today. Could be more expos are sold than navs or more bells and whistles to go bad on navs than on most expos. I don't take a lot of these studies as fact.
iseecars is a used car search engine.On vehicles that hold their value they both are not even on the list. The nav is second highest depreciating SUV,s though according to their study. https://www.iseecars.com/cars-that-hold-their-value-study

Last edited:

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I question this because almost any car that I know much about goes over 200k if not wrecked. That’s a pretty low bar. It means I’ve had some of the very few that do on a regular basis and even some of the supposedly rare as white tiger 300k ones.

Reaction score
Too bad the Ford Excursion was left off the list. I had an 02 model with 7.3 diesel that had 315k on it when I traded it in for my 17 Expy. A mechanic at the dealership bought my trade in and said you can't wear them out. I like my Expy but the Excursion felt tougher and was definitely roomier.

towing_champ

Reaction score
I question this because almost any car that I know much about goes over 200k if not wrecked. That’s a pretty low bar. It means I’ve had some of the very few that do on a regular basis and even some of the supposedly rare as white tiger 300k ones.

I had an old 1991 Mazda B2200 truck that probably would have hit 300 000 and I am pretty sure it is still on the road. I only wish I knew to use a floor jack on the cab when a tree fell onto it, but I ended up getting a 1999 Ranger 4.0 with 4wd and an extended cab, it it was quite the upgrade in space and great for snow driving (rare where I live but still a good to have). I am sure that ranger would have made it to 300,000, when I was looking for a new truck I test drove a few that were over 200,000; one was at 270,000 and ran well! The one I ended up with had 150,000ish. I had just finished adding all new parts for the cooling system and brand new tires when my oldest borrowed it and got run off the road. He was fine, but the truck was totaled.

My 1986 Honda Prelude (1.8, not 2.0 SI) had the most miles though, coming in at 270,000 when I bought it, that car ran great.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 1st Gen Expeditions made the list. The 'improved' newer models did not. Interesting, that Lincoln Town Car is missing(400K car) and the Toyota Camry.

OP
OP
zfifty

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Too bad the Ford Excursion was left off the list. I had an 02 model with 7.3 diesel that had 315k on it when I traded it in for my 17 Expy. A mechanic at the dealership bought my trade in and said you can't wear them out. I like my Expy but the Excursion felt tougher and was definitely roomier.

Being on the 3/4 ton chassis it was the longest and heaviest SUV ever made. The turbodiesel was definitely a BEAST! Rumors of Ford bringing it back have not culminated in a new model yet.

OP
OP
zfifty

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 1st Gen Expeditions made the list. The 'improved' newer models did not. Interesting, that Lincoln Town Car is missing(400K car) and the Toyota Camry.

Especially with the huge numbers of Camrys sold not only domestically but worldwide. I have a 93 LE that's been in the family since new. It has just under 100,000 miles and is still a crème puff. The Toyotas were well represented though with four of the top six in vehicles that reach 300,000 miles.

20190628_193602.jpg

Last edited: