Looking at buying, 2nd row question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knew what I meant...just can't type it right! Lol

I mean if you have a regular one and use and L or borrow one....or have an L and go back to an short one...it will feel terribly small in the back storage area.
Yeah, with all 3 rows up, doesn't seem like an enormous amount of space. Good for grocery hauling and baseball games at the weekend.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've owned three-row SUVs for 11 years (Acadia, Tahoe, Yukon XL, Exp Max) and would not want one without captains chairs. We regularly have 2-3 kids and 4 adults in the cars and walking through the center is just worth too much. Plus, on long road trips it gives a good area for coolers/food bags.

It's all in how you use the vehicle, but for me, that's pretty much the perfect layout.

I would wait until you find one with the correct seating, though. Replacing those seats would cost a fortune.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, with all 3 rows up, doesn't seem like an enormous amount of space. Good for grocery hauling and baseball games at the weekend.
Yes. If you have over four people and you're going to go on a trip, you basically have way too little room for luggage. I have never in my life and never plan on using on the roof or a luggage rack or a on top carrier on a vehicle.
It kills me that so many vehicles still put them up there as a factor design because that cost money. Of all the SUVs on the road I bet way less than 5% ever use that.
Is it standard on so many models and has been since their Inception. You can even get a roof rack for a car that's not made for 1 so the people who need something on their SUV could easily by an aftermarket carrier or rack. It makes them a little bit taller and hinders some going into garages and car washes. Total waste if you ask me.
I have a lifted Durango on 38-inch tires and when a new car wash with drive thru one, it was very close to fitting but after I took off the two movable luggage rack bars it fit perfectly.
Then we have things like the Durango where they actually have to make them Chrome or plastic Chrome to look pretty and fancy. Nothing should be up there on the roof about the corrugated ribs to reinforce it and make it stronger.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every trip we take with 4 people, we put all our small luggage bags and coolers between the captains chains. Its easy to access, and easy to load and unload. I can't imagine a bench and needing to throw it all in the back and then reaching over that seat and sitting on that flat seat for long distances. We take my parents and in laws cross country at times and if I had a rear bench, they couldn't survive the ride in that hard seat.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
Captains chairs all the way. Like these posts have been saying. You can put some things between the seats if needed for access that makes it almost more convenient. If it was on the bench it would be annoying to them. I have 2 kids, and having their own 'space' is great. And the arm rests make it more comfortable (besides the seat itself being more comfortable than a bench). AND not hearing "he keeps crossing the line over to my side of the bench" is nice.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But as mentioned earlier all 2nd gens at least Navigators had the console in the middle so you have to remove it. Then you have no armrests so it is a little "leany" and uncomfortable...sometimes.
They were 65K vehicles. Give me the console and put the middle jumper seat in the rear in the factory plastic so I can use it if I want.
I am going to take mine out if I don't sell it. A beanbag could fit or on of those thin little gaming chairs or othe cheap little black chairs I have seen even at Walmart.
It would not be hard to make one yourself. Plywood or metal frame with 3-4 inch thick upholstery on it. Wrap the wood area or frame with speaker box material. Like making a party bus seat. Then you could add a seat beat.
You could actually make one that you could just slide into place and put some pins in floor to sit on pins and slide hitch stye pin though hole in top of pin to hold in place. Might get too much rocking clicking this way so might need a quick release that has pressure.
Then you could get creative and make the bottom a lid to open up for storage and make the top fold down to a console....THE WAY they should make it to begin with!!!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expedition Captains have their own rm rests and no center console, just as I prefer!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're in the 4th gen forum, so I was referring to the 4th gen's! :)
Yep but few of us really bother to scroll all the way to the top of the thread to see what forum we are in. We just click on the new post and or the email for my places takes us sraight there. And anything like this comparisons to other Generations always pop up like the first-generation having to remove the seat to get it out of the way or as the second generation they fold flat.