Looking at this used Expedition.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at a 2019 Expedition Limited with 50k miles. CarFax is showing regular oil changes and services but also some weird stuff with the transmission (replaced/serviced/removed & reinstalled/fluid flush) at 47k. Not sure if that would be a good thing or red flag or just someone entered the service info in wrong so it reflecting weird on CarFax. Was supposed to go look at it on Sat but they notified me on Friday that it had to "be taken to the Ford dealer for a software update and that it would take ~2 weeks" (vehicle is at an Acura dealership). Are dealers that backed up currently that a software update would take 2 weeks or should I be concerned about them taking to the dealer for something bigger? The car fax shows the notification about the cam phaser program but do not see that it had been performed already so it could possibly be for that but not sure how long that job usually takes.

Just asking for opinions on whether I am over thinking it or if I should probably pass on this one and continue waiting for something else? (I'm very over car shopping at this point....) Dealership is a decent drive away so I don't want to drag the wife all the way up there for nothing.
Call your local Ford dealer service department tell them your checking for recall status give them the vin#. Ask while they are in there about service history.

CarFax data is absolute trash!!!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
CarFax data is absolute trash!!!
Any data about a vehicle you are about to buy is valuable.
So Carfax, Car Check have valuable info when starting out your used vehicle search. You have to use it for what it is, The first tool to use for your search, So you don't waist your valuable time to go look at bad vehicles.
So what makes the data "absolute trash"?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any data about a vehicle you are about to buy is valuable.
So Carfax, Car Check have valuable info when starting out your used vehicle search. You have to use it for what it is, The first tool to use for your search, So you don't waist your valuable time to go look at bad vehicles.
So what makes the data "absolute trash"?
It’s easily avoided and nothing like the automaker info. Even my 93 Landcruiser data with Toyota was pages and pages of history the AutoFax showed one record ‍♂️

The G35x I was shopping for my dad 6 yrs ago. I found three with rolled back ODO not from Autofax but via a call to the dealer to check recalls and any service history. Its tough for a seller to explain why a car had 160,000-180,000 miles on it 4 states away after saying its a local car with 80,000 miles on it three cases not one Autofax showed enough info to determine questionable history. Phone call was free and way more info

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's Autofax??? Carfax is usually pretty good, Autocheck is ok, but sometimes the info is lacking. It's a place to start. Best thing to do is to go to your local dealer and ask them to look at the service history via VIN. Most will do this and will explain what was done. An in person visit will usually get you the best info as opposed to a phone call. Some folks are very understanding and helpful. Some won't have the time of day for you.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vehicles can be involved in accidents and then repaired ...depending on the repair facility carfax would never even know if not reported

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our navigation maps. We updated to the latest ford/lincoln had to offer for Sync 3 like you did. Took well over 2 hours. It did seem to update some aethetics, the speed limit signs are more accurate to location(pre 22 navs don't have speed sign recognition so it doesn't update on the fly) but it still misses some road changes, exits and newer local streets.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my expedition changed speed limit signs, before the update. We don't drive in areas I don't know very often. So the navigation doesn't get tons of use. I was expecting the appearance to be different but it looks the same as it did before. I was worried updating might remove or change features but everything seems to be the same. Was that true for your navigator? I wasn't convinced it actually updated because everything looked the same. I forgot to take a picture of the sync version on the screen so I would know if it was different then before. I'm terrible at remembering numbers.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The digital screen didn't change, the only thing that rele changed on the nav screen was the disappearance of the border btw the written directions and map.

As far as the speed signs are concerned, I didn't have it long enough to see it at different places, but locally, it's a bit more accurate to different sections of road, and on the highway, it changes old speed limit signs fairly quickly. However, our cx9 also changes speed according to road work as well and is slightly quicker in terms of changing to speed signs.