Looking for some more get-up-and-go.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 1999 with a 5.4L and I've installed a K&N cold air intake, Gibson ceramic headers, and a custom, cat-back, true-dual 2 1/2 inch exhaust with magnaflow x-pipe and dual magnaflow mufflers. The truck runs great, sounds great and has great power and torque (the latter is more important to me). I'm looking into some more minor engine upgrades and was wondering what other people were running. I'd like to keep the mileage roughly the same and I live in California, so my upgrades have to be tree-hugging hippie approved.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The Whipple Supercharger guys say that none of the common mods that we do, CAI, headers, etc., make a real difference, they say on their site that Ford got all the power out of the 5.4 and all those parts just trade away low end torque for horsepower. Of course they claim that the only way to get more power out of a 5.4 is a blower. I think they may be a bit biased.

My truck already had all the standard "go fast" parts on it when I bought it, and the addition of an Edge programmer made a huge difference in the seat of the pants feel. It shifts way better and I picked up an mpg or two.

Also, removing the stock cooling fan and replacing it with an electric unit will free up between 12 and 15 hp. I'll be doing this in the spring.

halerazor

Reaction score
check out power hungry performance they have SCT and a programmer called gryphon which is a rebadged edge but comes with custom tunes and can be reprogrammed with your future upgrades. any custom tuner is going to be better than an out of the box tuner and the SCT is a scanner also

Bart Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
product-xlarge_image-98.jpg

If you ask me you cant beat the Edge Power Programer! Very satisified!! ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sweet, I'll look into the fan swap and Edge programmers. I'll let every one know when I install them. Thanks for the help guys.

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get some lighter and smaller pulleys UDP and ODP and you will feel the diffrence, maybe a throttle body spacer.

kurt.l.balmer

Reaction score
Im really happy with my Hypertech Max Energy programmer, Huge difference in power and im getting about 1-2 MPG better (when i can keep my foot out of it) and also a throttle body spacer gave me better throttle response and might have helped with the gas mileage a smidge.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reading something about the throttle body spacers and i was wondering do they effect the cruise control any?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Whipple Supercharger guys say that none of the common mods that we do, CAI, headers, etc., make a real difference, they say on their site that Ford got all the power out of the 5.4 and all those parts just trade away low end torque for horsepower. Of course they claim that the only way to get more power out of a 5.4 is a blower. I think they may be a bit biased.

My truck already had all the standard "go fast" parts on it when I bought it, and the addition of an Edge programmer made a huge difference in the seat of the pants feel. It shifts way better and I picked up an mpg or two.
i have a hard time beliving ford got all the power out of the 5.4 or the 4.6.... if gm can get 275 from the 4.8 and 285 from the 5.3 im just sayin i think theres power to be made with the triton