Looking for some more get-up-and-go.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the Edge Evolution programmer and it helps tremendously! I'm getting way better mileage and a lot of power out of it! I don't want to get an electric fan, because I only hear horror stories about them. What I am going to do is get a set of underdrive pulleys and a new throttle body, I was thinking BBK but a buddy of mine has a different one that is cheaper and has a larger diameter, I'll have to find out what the company is.

Bart Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and don't install the pully's your lights will dim at low RPM's and it effects the blower motor also!, I had them for a wile and got sick of it!

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and don't install the pully's your lights will dim at low RPM's and it effects the blower motor also!, I had them for a wile and got sick of it!

yeah, or overheating at idle in the summer since the water pump barely spins...I'll never buy them again either.

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, or overheating at idle in the summer since the water pump barely spins...I'll never buy them again either.

i have them and i never get dim lights or overheats in the summer, if you just get the UDP only it will make the lights dim at idle, but u also have to get the Odp too so that alternater runs faster, i got mine made by a guy named powder on a diffrent forum. he does them for ford zx2's.

OP
OP
G

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't run it on my alternator, a buddy of mine has them on his fox body mustang and loves them. I'm just trying to free up whatever hp and torque I can while still keeping her naturally aspirated.

timberwolf

Reaction score
Edge Evolution

Revising this slightly older thread. I'm seriously considering getting an Edge Programmer. However, their website doesn't seem to list the Expedition. Am I correct to assume the programmers for the F150's (I have an 2006 BTW) with the 5.4 3V will work on the Expedition. I tried e-mailing Edge, but all I get now is crap from their mailing list. I hope their customer support is better. Also, the unit I'd be getting is used. But he's local. So I can try it out first. Is there any risk in plugging it into my truck?

Bart Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Edge will work on the Expedition , Please call there Tec support line they are very helpfull, I've have nothing but great things to say about the edge it has alot of great features! :cool:

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Whipple Supercharger guys say that none of the common mods that we do, CAI, headers, etc., make a real difference, they say on their site that Ford got all the power out of the 5.4 and all those parts just trade away low end torque for horsepower. Of course they claim that the only way to get more power out of a 5.4 is a blower. I think they may be a bit biased.

My truck already had all the standard "go fast" parts on it when I bought it, and the addition of an Edge programmer made a huge difference in the seat of the pants feel. It shifts way better and I picked up an mpg or two.

Also, removing the stock cooling fan and replacing it with an electric unit will free up between 12 and 15 hp. I'll be doing this in the spring.

"...trade away low end torque for horsepower...."
I've noticed that in all the posts, etc. about upgrades. Given that we are all about a 4WD, ostensibly, off-road, vehicle, why aren't we talking about exactly the opposite; tradeing away horsepower for torque?
Did I miss something?
I rarely get above 2000 RPM. Once upon a time, as a soldier, I was a professional offroader; in wheeled vehicles I usually crawled over difficult terrain. (tracked we went as fast as necessary).
So, I'm looking for upgrades that are effective at less than 2000 RPM. With better gas mileage. Also, the winning lottery numbers.