Looking for some suggestions, think we need a new one.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
How much do those advertising wraps cost? I always wondered how that would work to prevent rust and protect the vehicle as well as to look crazy. Maybe you could get a wrap ... sell the Advertising space to a local business and turn your vehicle into a money maker? Or just come up with an incredible looking graphic that projects your personality for all the world to see. Just a (bad) idea. Feel free to ignore.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also have to remember as soon as you involve insurance, repair estimates skyrocket. While a paint job for you or me may be X if we walk through the door, they are billing insurance more. I had my wheel well fixed this spring for $700, shop told me straight up if I went through insurance it would have been $1,400-$1,500 easily. In certain instances it’s best to keep insurance uninvolved, like in that instance. Repair would have been doubled (sure insurance would be paying it) but then your rates go up (not worth it).

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I like the wrap idea.

Get some real quotes on the paint, not insurance quotes. Unless they have footprints embedded in the sheet metal, it should be a $3 - 5K job.

There's lots of nonsense in this thread. Stuff like replacing panels, taking off the hood to paint it, Bondo and that $12,000 bills. Who writes this stuff? This is no Rolls Royce. A day or two of prep, two coats of paint and clear coat and you'll be good for another ten years.

Happens every day.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lol, think I know which one it was, but have no proof. They were gone before I noticed. But how the kids acted while we were there.

Just curious, did you call the police? This is probably something they could solve fairly quickly, especially if you have a suspect in mind. Surely a camp ground keeps a log of who was there and when, possibly even a camera or two? They should be more than eager to help.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much do those advertising wraps cost? I always wondered how that would work to prevent rust and protect the vehicle as well as to look crazy. Maybe you could get a wrap ... sell the Advertising space to a local business and turn your vehicle into a money maker? Or just come up with an incredible looking graphic that projects your personality for all the world to see. Just a (bad) idea. Feel free to ignore.

Advertising wraps dont cost anything, they pay YOU

Regular wraps cost $1 - 2k professionally installed

BUT.... if you have DEEP scratches or dents, wrap's not gonna lay right unless you get those filled and levelled first

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NY state is a 75% total loss formula state. State insurance statutes as written by your elected insurance commissioner. Doesn't matter who your insurance company is or what Geico's internal policy is, or what your sister's neighbor ran into with State Farm last month in Wisconsin. NY = 75% TLF.

I hate numbers so will keep it simple.

They'll calculate the all-in cost of the claim. Paint, labor, supplies, fees/taxes, rental car. Lets say that number ends up being $8000. $8000 is a realistic number for a complete EL body massage & respray and often panels do need to come off. Unless long-legged and long-armed Adieu can restore a 6X5 foot hood while its atop the vehicle. A black vehicle at that. I've not seen the damage either, but the Expedition EL is no Honda CRV. Its a lot of sheet metal, and if Picasso hit every panel, ....

Then, using previous insurance pool auction data, they'll estimate what a running/driving 2010 Expedition EL Limited, without collision, burn, or flood damage, sells for at auction. Hot tip - Expeditions like this sell very well. Lets say they calculate insurance pool expected result at a modest $6000.

$8000 + $6000 = $14,000 TLF.

I don't know all of OP's specifics to get a NADA value. But again, with simple numbers, if his book value is $18,667 or more, and his TLF is $14,000 - she is totaled. 75% of $18,667 is $14,000. That's the formula. In Iowa its 50%. In Texas it can be as high as 100%.

Lets say I'm high. $5,000 claim + $3,000 salvage price. $8,000. If the book value is $10,667 or more, she is totaled.

An expedition hood can be had for $200ish if that's what worries you.... possibly less. Lol.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course if you don't like what the insurance company tell you, you can get a sign with the name of the campground prominently displayed..saying "This happened here" and drive through the campground....they may wish to negotiate a deal since regardless of paperwork, they still hold some responsibility....just the legal point of view.

Nice truck and too nice to write off.....imho
jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why I own my own spray guns, and learned how among other mechanical talents how to lay down paint. A gallon of Dupont or Ppg top shelf color coat, clear coat, sand paper, primer, etc, runs about $750.00 to $900.00. Your labor is free, unless your a busy,busy man. And if your that valuable you got the money to pay someone to repair it, I'm just saying!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A gallon of paint costs $900???

Daaaamn what have i been doing with my life... shoulda just learned to rob paint warehouses instead

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A gallon of red base coat from ppg, ditzler or Dupont is about $500.00 by itself, red is the most expensive. A gallon of clear coat is $200.00 on up. A gallon of primer about $200.00. sand paper, 2 quarts of body prep, masking tape, a gallon of gun cleaner, etc. $900.00 is conservative. Remember you need 2 primers, a sealer coat. Rubbing compounds, It adds up quick. Years back I painted a Datsun 280z in the early 90's, and cheated with a single primer, and still was in it about $500.00 way back then. Prices have doubled since then. Keep in mind you need to own 3 spray guns from primer to clear coat, a buffer for color sanding. It ain't cheap, but compared to paying someone, about a 1/4 the price, you can't get a complete Paint job under $5000, anywhere. It's all labor removing and replacing parts.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360